TLD25 - removing shaft from spool

Started by larive, May 12, 2014, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larive

I am trying to service my TLD25 reel.  In freespool, the spool does not turn freely unless I push the spool to the left with my thumb.  I either have to hold the spool to the left side, or just turn the rod 90 degrees to the left so the weight of the spool holds it to the left. 

I came across your forum article where you talk about changing the configuration of the Belleville washers and thought this may be my solution.

When I break the reel down, I can get the spool out.  However, when I remove the cross pin (key#50) and the click gear (#98) and screws, I cannot pull the main shaft (#173) out of the spool.  So I can't get to the bearings, washers, etc.  Am I missing something?  Is there a trick to pulling the shaft out?

Thanks

Bryan Young

Sounds like your right side bearing is stuck to the spool and spool shaft.  To may need to just tap the shaft right to left.  Did you take off the spool end piece that is held on by 2 or 3 screws?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

With the click gear and screws removed do like Bryan has suggested. Tap on the long end of the shaft with something like the wooden side of a small hammer. I use a small plastic hammer.

The large bearing under the click gear is stuck but should easily come out with a few light taps unless the small bearing on the drag washer side of the spool is rusted tight.

Let us know how it goes..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

larive

OK, just knowing that the shaft comes out right to left helps a lot.  I'll try again tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks

Sorry, out of town for a while.  OK, tapping with a wooden hammer did loosen the shaft and seperate it from the spool.  I was able to clean and grease it and put it back together.  Tried it out yesterday and it seems to be functioning OK.  Hoping that's all it needed. 

That was easier than figuring out how to reply to these posts, so I'm just modifying my last post.

Thanks again