New Penn Reel

Started by ShoreKasterHI, May 12, 2014, 06:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoreKasterHI

Looks like a extended baja. Anyone have info and what are your thoughts?

Bryan Young

Looks to be an extend 113.  I've seen a photo somewhere, but I don't recall where.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

That looks like a 113W with a tib frame to me, like an updated 268. The square drive means it probably is a baja inside, depending on the price it might be a cool reel although I would still prefer a wide 113 with all of our upgrades.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

maxpowers

Steve (Tunanorth) confirmed that Penn will coming out with it at Icast.  I would be interested in one as the lugs are convertible and I know I can get the drag on the baja special to 40 + lbs.

George4741

The right sideplate, star and arm/knob all scream "Baja Special".  It must be a wide version of that.
viurem lliures o morirem

doradoben

Interesting.. The frame is numbered like it was built by Penn. The 9th. built in January, 2014.

Tile

Nice reel. This one is a prototype built on the Baja platform. You can see on the spool the grooves for the line capacity rings.
In solid fiberglass we trust

CapeFish

the plot thickens in the search for a high capacity casting reel..........

kmstorm64

I hope Penn starts building more reels back here!
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

RUSTY OLD COLT

I HOPE THEY DO A 3/0 SIZE ALSO

Tile

If it's above the 200$ price mark it will be made in the US.
In solid fiberglass we trust

maxpowers

I doubt they will make a 3/0 size as that would eat into the fathom and squall and torque sales.  The narrow 4/0 and now soon to be wide 4/0 in baja style fill a nice niche for castable larger capacity star drag reels.

johndtuttle

Quote from: maxpowers on May 13, 2014, 07:51:15 PM
I doubt they will make a 3/0 size as that would eat into the fathom and squall and torque sales.  The narrow 4/0 and now soon to be wide 4/0 in baja style fill a nice niche for castable larger capacity star drag reels.

As I understand Penn's thinking on this (FWIW) it is not a question of eating into another reel's sales, it's a question of what could this 3/0 Baja special do for the average guy that a Fathom 25N can't?

The answer is: Nothing.

In fact, it can be argued that the Fathom 25N is superior for most peoples fishing ie instant AR for fishing braid in addition to back up dogs.

Penn can't even really justify the existence of the Baja Special (narrow 4/0) despite it's universal recognition as the most dependable and best all around offshore reel for many styles of fishing for the dollar made. It simply doesn't sell. It doesn't look cool unless you are in the over 50 crowd more or less.

Something I learned in the outdoor industry long ago is that people do not want what works. They want what *looks like it works* to them and makes them feel *l'm an elite end-user*. Being a user of brutally effective simplicity simply doesn't appeal to them. They want something that appears contemporary ie *bling*and they don't want to look like their dad fishing. They want to think they discovered something new so they get one over on pops.

The company that makes a reel that works just long enough and also looks and feels like it works gets the most sales, regardless of economics or the reality of the internals.

You can apply that to any consumer good. It's the reality of the consumer mind set.

The good news is, it drives innovation and occasionally a company combines the best of the old and the new (ie Torque).

Ron Jones

I guess I'm wierd, still have a bit to go to get to 50 and would barely recognize a purple lever thing as something you try and catch fish with.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

johndtuttle

Quote from: noyb72 on May 13, 2014, 09:52:41 PM
I guess I'm weird, still have a bit to go to get to 50 and would barely recognize a purple lever thing as something you try and catch fish with.
Ron

Has nothing to do with being purple (however, people complain all the time that Penn's are gold and they want silver). It has to do with the overall appearance of the product and the Baja Special looks just like a Senator from the 1940's.

1940's bling when out with Studebakers.

When's the last time you bought a Baja Special? :)

The reason I ask is that we all sit here and sing their praises day in and day out and yet we ourselves probably make a different choice when we spend our $$$.  :D

Something a little lighter...something with an instant AR...something in a faster retrieve...ie a Fathom.