Anyone ever use Twist Weld Wire Leader from the CableStrand Corp?

Started by rscotth, May 13, 2014, 03:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscotth

Stocking up on some gear for a hopeful Key West adventure this summer and found this stuff while educating myself on proper crimping and the correct crimping pliers needed. I like the titanium stuff but still a bit pricey but saw this on Ebay and looked them up on the web. They advertise 100% knot strength with no crimps  :-\ and is a multi strand coated wire? The instruction say to:

1. Cut the wire leaving approximately 6 inches more wire in excess of desired finish length of the leader.

2. Form a loop being sure to cross the free end over the top and pinch it with your fingers.

3. Wrap the free end in a long spiral 6 to 8 times around the main leader wire, squeezing the two together every half wrap.

4. Cut off excess end. Use a match or flame briefly over the entire wrapping area until the nylon coating flows and fuse welds together. DO NOT burn the nylon completely off the wire. If the nylon coating starts to flame, blow it out since you have sufficiently melted the coating.

5. You now have a strong complete bond, guaranteed not to slip or break!

Seems to good to be true or I feel like I would have heard about this stuff before now. Sounds like the melted coating is what secures the wrap but how could that be consistent. I can also see myself needing to make a leader & trying to light match off shore on a center console  :P. Does anyone have any experience with this type of leader?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twist-Weld-7-Strand-Black-Fishing-Leader-Wire-80-lb-100-ft-No-Crimp-Needed-/110986923227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d7560cdb

Thanks
Bob  

Shark Hunter

Bob,
I have never heard of this stuff. As far as wire goes. I only use toothproof wire. I buy mine from alltackle. I use haywire twists on both ends. This is the real deal. I only use my wire for leaders. Hope this helps. As far as spooling the reel with wire. I don't know about that sort of thing.
http://www.alltackle.com/american_fishing_wire_tooth_proof.htm
Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

rscotth

whalebreath

People have been melting the plastic on wire since that coating first came out-it works OK if you're careful.

A Figure 8 knot is easier though and no doubt stronger.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/kentucky/2006/06/field-streams-guide-basic-camping-and-fishing-knots-now-more-new-kno?photo=10

rscotth

Nice link Whalebreath......

I'm not afraid to admit I am a little knot ignorant even though I am ex Navy (Engineering). I have made it through my fishing career using the ole "noose knot" most of the time (mono).

I would think the figure "8" would be really good with titanium wire.
Thanks
Bob

philaroman

there's also the 49-strand (7X7) knotable steel from AFW  (same brand as Toothproof)

CapeFish

we use a different figure 8 knot - slight variation of a centauri- in coated and uncoated cable. Very easy to make unless the cable is very stiff. You can even tie cable to thick mono leader with the knot.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Quote from: Keta on May 14, 2014, 03:20:01 PM
I've used an Albright to tie mono to single strand too.

I'm with you on this.   I've been doing this since the 80's.  My standard beach and pier leader is about three to four feet of 60 mono with an albright to four to eight inches of number seven single strand.
Central Florida