HELPFUL CLEANING TOOLS

Started by LTM, May 14, 2014, 10:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

I posted this thread somewhere else here and thought it might be better here.  Here goes:

I resupplied my gun cleaning stuff last year and found the following items just great for cleaning/restoring reels:

Tipton Polymer Gun Cleaning Picks - Set of Four -

SIX 6!!! Nylon Gun Rifle Pistol Cleaning Brushes

Scotch-Briteā„¢ Blending Hand Pad 7448 (GRAY IN COLOR) = 000 FINE

3M Scotch-Brite ~ 5 Very Fine Maroon General Purpose Pad = 00 FINE

I purchased all of the aboce items on fee-bay. The polymer pickts are great for getting that last bit of crud from coners etc. and the picks have different shaped ends on the oppisite ends to get into tight places (like locking lugs on rifles). The cleaning brushes are stiff and very effective. None of these two products will scratch finishes (as long as you dont apply Gurilla strength). Ive used the gray 3M pads to remove lite scratches from my BRUSHED stainless guns with NO VISIBLE SIGNS OF SCRATCHES. When concerned about scratches I will add a couple drops of TSI 321 to the pads and use very light pressure. You can also DIY Dremel tips with this material as well. The pads can be bought by a couple sheeets or by the box. The burgandy pads are GREAT for restoring internal parts to new. Since the pads are plastic theres no rusting IF small particles are left on the parts. Ive been restoring Penn SS reels lately (with 30 year old grease) and the above items handled the job PERFECTLY! I put the link to 3M pads with usage etc on this forum somewhere (must have been burried). You may seriously want to give these products a try on your next project, especially you gun owners who ALREADY have these products for this is one trully transferable application for these cleaning tools.

Leo

kmstorm64

For rifles good old pipe cleaners, cotton swabs, bore snakes.

Cleaning/Polishing Metal, I love S-100 polish, S-100 works great (not cheap for washing), household dawn soap for washing salty grimey stuff, vinegar works to remove that green stuff oh and of course beer, not for the parts but for me ;D
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

MFB

I have found that rum works better in winter than beer.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: MFB on May 15, 2014, 06:05:44 AM
I have found that rum works better in winter than beer.

Rgds

Mark

works quicker too! ;D