Bit buy the Penn bug!!!

Started by txangler81, May 15, 2014, 04:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

Hello everyone. A little about my self. I am a Penn/conventional reel newbie as well as new to the website. That said I have been bitten hard by the penn bug lol. I have purchased four peer 209s, a peer 309, a peer 109, a peerless 9, an old 500 jigmaster, two 140 squidder, and a 112h. All vintage of course. I do mostly freshwater fishing for catfish, sand bass and crappie. I will also be doing some surf fishing and bay fishing from the bank in Galveston this summer. I guess I'm looking for suggestions on what to use for what type of fishing. I was thinking the 309 the 500 and the 112h would be good for blues and flathead cats, 209s and squids for channel cats, the 9 and 109 for sand bass, the 500 squids and 112h for surf fishing, and the others to use casting in the bay. also what test line would you recommend for each one. Thanks for y'alls help.

Bryan Young

Welcome TX.  I'm not exactly sure what to use for your type of fishing,  but your lineup sounds great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Welcome Tex!
Be careful! The penn bug is alive and well Here! I use to be a Freshwater fisherman for many years. I caught my First Shark. Sold My Boat and started buying Senators!
I would keep it simple. 20lb mono on the smaller reels and 30 on the 500 and 112H.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Aloha!  Welcome Tex

Sounds like you got a nice quiver of reels!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

uh oh! bitten by the P-bug(ger), welcome to the "neighborhood"...

txangler81

Thank y'all for the welcomes. Shark I would probably be the same way but I'm 8hrs away from saltwater. Ebay will get you in trouble with the wife real fast lol. On my jigmaster it ended up being a little more beat up than I thought it was going to be the right side plate looks like some one didn't know how to take it off and broke all the slots where it attaches to the ring that attaches it to the inner ring. Is it possible to repair this epoxy j.b. weld something or do I need to just replace the whole side plate.

alantani

when that happens, you're better off with a new/used side plate. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Yea, I wouldn't trust it with all the slots broken. Not sure what type of 500 you have, but this guy on ebay has plenty of them. Offer half of what he is asking for the one you need and go from there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-PENN-CONVENTIONAL-REEL-PART-Jigmaster-500-Right-Side-Plate-RED-Lot-C-/290913016717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bbc45b8d
Life is Good!

txangler81

thanks it is a 500 with dark red plates

txangler81

It is in pretty rough shape all the parts that should be nice and shiny look like old brass lol it has lots of character

Shark Hunter

If it has good Internals. You might want to keep it for parts and get another. ;D
Life is Good!

txangler81

I can get new bling from that guy on ebay pretty cheap I would like to get it useable. would you recommend putting new bearings in it he has used ones I wander if they are any good

txangler81

I just got a 250 surfmaster yesterday

txangler81

I picked up a can of corosionx and due to the lack of Yamaha grease in my area I purchased a can of citgo blue marine grease we will see how it does