penn 349

Started by turboal, August 24, 2013, 04:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

thanks Lee.  do you have any SS dogs for this reel ?

Keta

Quote from: turboal on August 30, 2013, 02:59:04 AM
thanks Lee.  do you have any SS dogs for this reel ?

I'll look but I think I sent the last two out last week.  I can cut more.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

turboal

ok, let me know i will need 4.

Keta

I'll try to get them cut.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

I was just checking Smoothdrag's website and I don't see the 349H metal washers.  They may have discontinued them. :-\
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

Quote from: George4741 on September 03, 2013, 02:38:57 AM
I was just checking Smoothdrag's website and I don't see the 349H metal washers.  They may have discontinued them. :-\

Dawn should have some in a week or so.

Mark Twain

jaidam

Lots of threads on the 349, hope I can post my question here.

After years of trolling wire line for mackerel with a Penn 49 which was perfect except for customers regularly shredding the sleeve cranking in a big one, I decided to upgrade to a 349. I picked up 3 of them. I have tried the 349 with the regular drags they came with, which didn't work well as the drags were sticky when a fish was running. So changed to HT100 greased with Cals, from a spare 113H I had lying around. Problem is exactly the same. When a fish runs, the drag is not smooth at all. I have now tried 2 different Penn 349s and the problem is identical with both. I'm fishing 30lb leader with a fairly tight drag. Today we had a good hit and the clicker sounded brrrrrr.....brrrrr then rod bent over, the drag stopped paying out line, and the line snapped.

My question is, is there any other reason for the drag to not be smooth and useable. The Penn 113H worked perfectly so I know the HT100s are fine. The metals likewise are lapped and smooth. It's very confusing, so before I stop using the 349 and go back to the 49 can somebody tell me if I'm missing something obvious?

Keta

My 349's are as smooth as any other Penn reel, they all have 5+1 or 7+1 drag stacks.   Did you use the original thick metal washers and double up the 113H HT-100 CF washers?   If so I'd get a 5+1 set from Smooth Drag.  Did you replace the wavy washer with Bellville spring washers? Check and see if the gear spins free on the gear sleeve. 

If you do go back to 49's install a SS gear sleeve.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on May 06, 2014, 02:51:51 PM
My 349's are as smooth as any other Penn reel, they all have 5+1 or 7+1 drag stacks.   Did you use the original thick metal washers and double up the 113H HT-100 CF washers?   If so I'd get a 5+1 set from Smooth Drag.  Did you replace the wavy washer with Bellville spring washers? Check and see if the gear spins free on the gear sleeve. 

If you do go back to 49's install a SS gear sleeve.
Or if you have time and patience you could do something as this ;D
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6197.msg52039#msg52039
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

That is the ultimate 49 upgrade.

Mark Twain

mhc

Lee - Do you have any 113H handle arms and 349 SS dogs lying around looking for a new home?
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

doradoben

I know this may be an obvious question, but I'll ask it anyway. Is the drag set at more than 30% of line test at the top of the spool?

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"