A gift of Penns - and some 112h advice

Started by erikpowell, March 16, 2013, 01:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikpowell

Hey Guys... I'd like to share with you my new candidate.... supplied by a good family friend, Martin from Florida, who decided he was no longer going to need his trusty penn quiver.... so he had em all boxed up and since he knew mom was visiting me in Fiji, coerced her into "schleping them halfway around the world" ... (mom's words). Thank you Marty !

here's what was in the box: black 4/0, maroon 113h 4/0 special, maroon 112h special 3/0, 285 del mar, and a red 114h (not pictured, out fishing  8)

It wasn't long before i ordered a topless narrow kit, handle, and all innards from Alan
One of these days I'll follow the TANK's lead and double dog, and looking forward to the s.s. 4.0:1 gears coming soon..

At first I planned on keeping the nice maroon 113h original and using the TiB kit for the rougher black 4/0... till I learned you can't do that.. ;)
I struggled a bit with the conversion until Alto Mare chipped in and sent me the right underwear washer. Thanks Sal !

Which leads me to my next project...Here's the candidate... a sweet little 112h, my first one

I think I'll sniff around for a topless frame for this one too, got most of the other goodies laying around already and a handle coming from Alan... I'm open to suggestions!

No cracks in the trim rings
And something I've never seen before, but Marty's from the east coast...spooled with s.s. wire.  :o
I wouldn't know where to begin if I had to fish with this ;D  .. really..

The wire diameter is .62mm .. can someone tell me it's test and how much would be on the spool?
..and suggest what I do with it? ... how bout a quick wireline tutorial... what would you be fishing for, schools of cuda or wahoo?
this reel wouldn't seem to have the braking power for sharks, I'm interested to know more
Nice tight fit at the spool

Do you guys think with newer Tiburon frame (and maybe a new spool)  I could keep a tight enough fit that 50-65lb braid won't get munched?
I'm afraid to spool the 4/0 with braid... look at the size of gap between frame & spool my wanna be tank

what are my options for spooling this, I'd love the input

Well, thanks for listening ya'll.... and thanks for all your advice... be well everyone!
Erik

Dominick

Bula Eric, it is good to see you back on the site and active again.  How goes the fishing business in Fiji?  About the wire line, I do not know anything about wire line but Broadway Dom is our wire line expert he should chime in soon.  I fished with Dom in NY and that's all he used on his boat for Striped Bass was wire line.  Tight lines.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

doradoben

I don't think that the frame gap is an issue as long as the gap between the inner chrome ring and the edge of the spool is tight enough..

Bryan Young

Eric, you would get tons of 50# or 65# braid on the 4/0.  You may want to think about 80#
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

For deep water fishing I prefer 50-65lb due to less line drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

How about 80-130lb hollow?
What would I need to be able to splice in short 80-200lb leaders or longer 50-80lb topshots?

I'd like to learn how to splice... new line to previous line, and leaders & topshots..
I already use some loop to loop wind-ons, but for jigging i like them short.

Vinaka!

TechTeach

The wire line is used for trolling, not teeth resistance.

Basically for every 100 feet of wire you let out, you get around 10 feet of depth at trolling speed. Used in the northeast US for striped bass but also grouper in Florida. I'm sure you could find a use for it. But if the wire is kinked at all, strip it off and use if for something else not fishing related.

Any more questions, feel free to ask. I have 5 113h's spooled with wire. Also, you need a rod with carbide guides.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Aiala

Martin is clearly a very generous pal... lucky you!

As for your 112H, yes, it is definitely a sweet little reel. I've got two of them and am anxiously waiting for a pair of Tiburon Extra-Wide Topless Frame & Spool Kits (T3BFSK). They've been back-ordered for two months, but should be arriving in the near future. I'm hoping to use them for BFTs on my July 4-day trip. 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

BMITCH

Erik, my opinion would be the Tib narrow kit for the 112H. Makes one helluva jigging reel!
luck is the residue of design.

Cone

My 112h is in pieces. I took a Pro Challenger ss jigmaster bridge to the tower shop down the road. That was 3 weeks ago.  >:(  I went by yesterday to pick it up but they were closed. I will take it to a welding shop. I bought a tap and I think I can put it in my 112h. I'll let you know if it works out.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

erikpowell

Today, I just nicknamed Oregon .......  SCORE-egon   :-* :-*

A couple weeks back, while on the hunt for a 9/0 for my friend Pablo who was on his way back to Fiji, I stumbled across a listing on craigslist. Turns out the old fellow lived just a town or two away from my buddy. And it wasn't a 9/0 he had, it was a 6/0, on an old IGFA 50lb roller rod...I'll still make Pablo his 80lb reel, only it'll be Tib framed instead of Dom/Tom'd now  ;D

I sent Pablo back with some cash from me so I asked him to scoop up whatever was left,
So here's what he picked up for me.

The price tag on the extra plastic spool says $1.37

Look what I found inside the Jigmaster!  8)

and he had enough dough leftover to pay for the extra bag to Fiji.  ;)

I think my SalandAlaninitis is acting up again.

Vinaka  Scoregon !