East Coast Blues

Started by mrbrklyn, May 17, 2014, 03:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The Blues we are having in Florida right is the blues from not fishing. Mother nature is kept us at the dock all week.

ChileRelleno

Biggest Blue I've seen landed down here was maybe 9-10#, biggest I've landed was maybe 3-4#.
I would love to get into those larger Blues on light tackle.
Need to take a trip to visit my sister in PA...  Yeah, that'd make for a great excuse to get up that way
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

spottybastard

Forgive me, I'm a left coast guy...  Are blues good eating? ???

Shark Hunter

I know Sharks Love them! I haven't eaten one myself. I know they are an oily fish, that's what makes them great Bait! ;D
Life is Good!

TechTeach

Quote from: spottybastard on May 18, 2014, 06:59:16 AM
Forgive me, I'm a left coast guy...  Are blues good eating? ???

Not really. They are oily, good in the smoker though if you fillet and ice them right away.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Alto Mare

Not me, but some chef claim it to be the most flavorful...if you know what to do with it. :-\
If you remove the dark meat and are really hungry, the little ones aren't bad  ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TechTeach

Best way to eat a bluefish....,

Soak in milk over night, smother in mayonnaise before cooking, nail to a cedar plank and cook face down over the fire to allow oil to drip off, once done after about 10 min or so, remove fillet, toss aside and eat the cedar plank.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

Alto Mare

Quote from: TechTeach2530 on May 18, 2014, 12:03:25 PM

Soak in milk over night, smother in mayonnaise before cooking, nail to a cedar plank and cook face down over the fire to allow oil to drip off, once done after about 10 min or so, remove fillet, toss aside and eat the cedar plank.
:D :D :D...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 18, 2014, 12:32:58 PM
Quote from: TechTeach2530 on May 18, 2014, 12:03:25 PM

:D :D :D...

I prefer mine with a Brick. I don't like Splinters
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SacFly

I had unlimited monster blues on the south shore of LI friday afternoon and saturday morning.  Then they vanished.  Real bruisers, some 12+ lbs. Honestly, some of the biggest bluefish I've ever caught from the beach.  I got one on a bunker head that left me in awe.

broadway

Sacfly,
   You know you got a big blue when they eat the head... only the big ones do that.  That's why I use heads personally and give the chunks to my guest.   This way I can catch a striper or big blue and they can catch whatever bites the hook.  There are plenty of fish in our waters that'll take the chunk but not many that'll take the heads.  I caught a 21" fluke last year on a chunk.  Also, when passengers get a monster blue on the line it usually tangles the rest of our lines with it because they don't know how to control their frantic fighting blue. 
PS- stripers eat chunks also, I've just had better luck with the heads.  I believe the reason for them jumping on the heads first is because they eat bunker head first as opposed to blues that attack from behind or from the sides.
Keep those lines tight!
Thanks
Dom

BMITCH

Word as it last years run of blues was possibly a different strain of Bluefish. Possibly from over the big pond. My PB on blues was 19.5 #, huge fish. Really strong. As for chunking bunker. I always try to get a head. I agree with dom here. Only the largest fish eat the heads. The 19.5# came on a six pound sea bass rack over a deep wreck in November.
luck is the residue of design.