PENN 50 VSX handle problem

Started by tayfunmeric, May 20, 2014, 08:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayfunmeric

Hello, I have used to 50 VSX reels as planer reels with high drag settings. Afterwards I noticed that the handle just stuck and wouldn't turn. I played a little bit and it started to turn but later stuck again.
What did I broke:)?? any help would be appreciated.
Tayfun

josa1

Hi Tayfunmeric,

Will the reel shift gears, i.e. go from low to high speed?

josa1

josa1

I did a post not long ago on how the handle and shift mechanism is assembled.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7972.0

You might find something helpful here.

josa1

tayfunmeric

Thank you, I have seen your thread and (hopefully) assembled everything as shown. I want to understand why the handle would lock and not turn at all. Where is my mistake??

tayfunmeric

Reel will shift gears but it is still not turning.

josa1

Hi Tayfunmeric,

I can't really come up with a reason why the reel would lock up.  I suggest you pull the left side plate and remove the spool assembly.

See Alan's great tutorial on how to do this.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=232.0

At this point you can operate the handle/shift mechanism and hopefully narrow down the places you need to look to make repairs.

By the way, even though it's frustrating, I always learn more about reel function and assembly when I have a problem like this, I'm pretty sure you will too!

Good luck!    josa1

phillyguy

Your gear stud may be seized in the RS plate bushing.  Take the handle off and all the 2 speed parts, take the RS plate off and see if the gear stud (part # 134 on the parts list) will come out.  If not you are going to have to bang it out and file it down a some, load it up with grease and re-assemble.   Let me know if this helps.

tayfunmeric

Thank you very much for all of your help. I will try the suggested solutions and let you know.

josa1

Hi Again Tayfunmeric,

One thing that did come to mind was that possibly one or more of the wafer washers, Part Number 18 & 18A, that set on the end of the spool shaft next to the pinion gears, got out of place during assembly.  This would definitely lock the reel up by jamming the spool shaft.

When I was working on my 50VSX I found that mating the spool shaft into the right side plate bearing while maintaining the washers in their proper place was a little tricky.  It would be very easy to let one of the washers get out of place.

Best way to find out......Pull the left side plate and then carefully and slowly back the the spool away from the right side plate until you can see enough to verify the washers are installed correctly.

josa1

tayfunmeric

Hello Josa1,
I will try that too, it might be also the problem:)