Inshore Spinning Reel Care?

Started by Spug, May 21, 2014, 11:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spug

Alright guys. I'll get straight to the point and try to keep it short here. I have gone through many reels in the past and am now to the point in my life where I am starting to enjoy holding on to things instead of just trashing reels once they get rough. I stumbled across this forum in the process of looking for ideas for properly maintaining my spinning reels. Having been primarily a fly guy in the past I have gotten used to low maintenance fly reels and have just chucked rough spinning reels not realizing that there is a whole world of reel guys out there that actually repair these complicated pieces of gear.
  Basically what I am getting at here is where can I find the right way to grease and oil for preventative maintenance? I hear of reel guys around the area that use heavy grease to help seal all openings but nobody wants to talk details until you throw money at them.
  So, this may seem a little redundant but where do I grease/oil (bail, main shaft, drag etc.) to keep things smooth and crust free. Hopefully there is a basic tutorial someone can point my to. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Spug

Forgot to mention, I am very particular about my stuff.  I just returned two Penn Conflicts because they made a little noise.  Not sure if this is standard for these reels but they drove me nuts.  Got a Shimano because it is just buttery smooth.  As long as I can keep it that way I will be buying more.   ;)

johndtuttle

Quote from: Spug on May 21, 2014, 11:28:56 PM
Alright guys. I'll get straight to the point and try to keep it short here. I have gone through many reels in the past and am now to the point in my life where I am starting to enjoy holding on to things instead of just trashing reels once they get rough. I stumbled across this forum in the process of looking for ideas for properly maintaining my spinning reels. Having been primarily a fly guy in the past I have gotten used to low maintenance fly reels and have just chucked rough spinning reels not realizing that there is a whole world of reel guys out there that actually repair these complicated pieces of gear.
  Basically what I am getting at here is where can I find the right way to grease and oil for preventative maintenance? I hear of reel guys around the area that use heavy grease to help seal all openings but nobody wants to talk details until you throw money at them.
  So, this may seem a little redundant but where do I grease/oil (bail, main shaft, drag etc.) to keep things smooth and crust free. Hopefully there is a basic tutorial someone can point my to. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hey Spug,

First off, Welcome! All of the principals of spinning reel care are based in the foundation that Alan, Bryan, Sal, Keta and others have taught us and is not real complicated. The good news is that Inshore reels use much of the same ideas with a few spinning specific caveats :).

1. Oil is used for speed first and longevity of protection second. This means bearings that support rapidly moving parts (ie spools) associated with casting get oil. TSI 321 and Corrosion/Reel-X are popular flavors. Main Shafts also get oil as they typically have a long travel inside the pinion and grease slows the reel down too much. Use oil on anything you want to spin as fast as possible and be protected.

2. Grease is used for more long term protection at the cost of speed but very heavy greases can make smaller spinners feel a little sluggish (too sticky). However, grease won't hurt anything and protects very well. In general, the stuff on the inside of the reel gets Grease. I like Penn Grease because it is lighter than a true heavy bearing grease yet has excellent protection. Sticky grease can be cut with oil to lighten it just the way you and your reel like it. Grease gears and internal bearings that are not associated with casting.

3. A true teflon based drag grease is preferred for drags but recent info suggests drags that don't see much real heat (ie small freshwater or inshore reels) can be fine with standard greases on drag washers. Big Game reels get very hot and would degrade a petroleum based grease. The idea here is to reduce startup friction and prevent water intrusion. It makes for a smoother drag.

4. Stuff on the outside gets oil as grease picks up too much gunk and is harder to clean. Think Bail Arms, Handles and Line Rollers etc.

5. Internal "mating surfaces" get grease. This provides a simple seal of the reel if you slip on the rocks and get your baby wet. As well, a very light coat everywhere leaves no spot unprotected.

6. When it comes to roller clutches it depends on the type. Shimano have to be meticulously cleaned and left absolutely dry. Penn and other barrel clutches with nylon springs tolerate light grease just fine. Daiwa springs can be a little weak over time and are best oiled (depending on the model).

See one of my service tutorials in the Spinning section for the basic idea. I think the most recent one (not yet stickied) is the Penn Conflict but as it is a smaller spinning reel it incorporates all of these ideas.

best

Ron Jones

Spinners are each a little different, but there are general guidelines. I would look at the tutorials in the spinner section to find reels closest to the ones you want to maintain. As a general rule, light marine grease on all inside surfaces. Replace drags with carbon fiber if not already present and lube those drags with a teflon based drag grease. I grease all my spinner bearings but some guys oil some and not others. I also don't have spinning reels with AR bearings and as I understand it greasing them is a nono.
Hope this gets you started
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Spug

Wow, thanks for the replies.  That's exactly what I was looking for to get the ball rolling!  Great info.  So, Corrosionx is actually a good lubricant?  I know of it's corrosion blocking abilities well.  I've used it as a protectant over the years.  Good to know it actually lubricates well also.  The stuff is amazing.  I'm ordering a bottle of the Reelx ASAP.  Again, thanks.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Spug on May 22, 2014, 03:52:55 AM
Wow, thanks for the replies.  That's exactly what I was looking for to get the ball rolling!  Great info.  So, Corrosionx is actually a good lubricant?  I know of it's corrosion blocking abilities well.  I've used it as a protectant over the years.  Good to know it actually lubricates well also.  The stuff is amazing.  I'm ordering a bottle of the Reelx ASAP.  Again, thanks.

Yea, it's excellent lube. TSI is "faster" but I have never found corrosion-x to be anything but great. It's particularly good for removing corrosion and leaving behind protection. My line rollers love the stuff. ;D.

Bryan Young

Other than pack the bearings with grease or corrosionX HD, I now just spray corrosionX HD in the internal guts of the reel and let sit, then drain out excess.  Anti-reverse bearings, bail springs, bail line roller guide,...all get TSI321.

All drags are changed to carbonfiber then greased with Cal's or Cal's lite.

Gears are brushed with Evinrude Triple Guard grease (cause I like it's sticky properties).

Outside and exposed internal parts, like under the spool, are brushed with a toothbrush that has CorrosionX, TSI321, and CorrosionX HD from brushing parts of the reel.  the parts are then wiped with a rag to keep a very thin layer of oils on the surface of the reel and parts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i still use corrosion x for AR bearings.   i'm concerned that TSI 321 might be too fast.  i'd hose a spinner down with aerosol corrosion x, then replace the stock drags with greased carbon fiber, spool it up and call it done.  if it fails after all of that, i'd go get a new one! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Spug

Sounds like a plan to me.  I just ordered a bottle of ReelX.  As far as the spray is concerned, which one should I get?  The standard red can?

alantani

that's what i use.  it's a great value!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Spug