Bass pro shop Offshore Angler™ Captain's Choice® 4/0 Reel help needed

Started by pcde123, May 21, 2014, 04:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcde123

i got 3 dissasebled offshore angler 4/0 reels for parts and repair on ebay for 20 bucks
ive been determined to assemble at least 1 fully functioning reel out of the bits and pieces and ive finally managed to aseemble 1 solid reel
the only issue is the reel has no drag control.....like the drag star is asembled but the drag doesnt adjust what so ever, the reel also has no free spool :( not that the bearings arent cleared out, but literally the option to swithc from free spool to retrieve i not effective. when swithcing the lever swtich to free spool the reel still cranks....i do not know why and im hopign to get some help....thank you

PS: i know this reel is a bass pro shop 3rd party bleh reel, im not trying to make a reel comparable to a senator or a sealine, just trying to see how much work i can do without the help of a tutorial and hope to get a reel to work

cwillis85

The Bass Pro by my house refurbishes rods and reels, their refurbish bin always seems to have 20 or more of these reels. I asked one of the guys at the counter if it would be worth buying one of these reels just as a cheap setup for my daughter to play with, rather her not lose one of my Penns over the side of the boat. He told me one of every two of these reels they sell come back, about half of those can be refurbished and the other half just have parts so far out of specs that they can not be repaired without major overhaul. I would guess these ones they return to the factory but just be aware that you may just have a reel with parts with such lose tolerances that it may never work correctly. Good Luck
Chris

Irish Jigger

Parts and repair reminds me of the old adage "You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear" ;)