TSI 321, what happens when...

Started by OkobojiEagle, May 21, 2014, 11:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkobojiEagle

Does TSI 321 continue to bond to metal parts of a bearing after another oil is added to that same bearing?  Could someone smarter than myself explain what happens to protection and viscosity when different oils are applied.  Thanks

oe

johndtuttle

Yes, no...maybe...Can you repeat the question? :)

Only someone that knew precisely the composition of all of these formulations and then did some testing could definitely answer.

I would assume that no harm comes from any lubes that mix well together, but that the resulting mixture may have the same or lesser protective qualities than before somewhere between the two's own properties.

"Solvents" are anything that cause anything else to go into solution with it. It is just a question of degree and rate. Water is a solvent, Oils are solvents, Turpentine (a resin extract) is a solvent all depending on what you want to go into solution. The resulting solution is a dilution of the original.

If something mixes with TSI then it probably displaces some from the surface it is adhering to unless the surface has a particularly powerful attraction to TSI. Only rigorous testing with a real scientific protocol would tell us how much.

exp2000

Yeah, I have been wondering this myself with TSI-CorrosionX blends.

Both are said to adhere to metal surfaces.

TSI 301 has a powerful solvent base to lift residual oil from metal to facilitate surface  contact so it can bond.

So who is the winner when you mix the two?
~

Bryan Young

I'm not sure about oils, but TSI will win over grease.  I have found when I mis-treated a bearing with TSI, then packed it with grease, the grease tends to eventually spill out.  I really don't know how much remains in the bearing though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I have treated a select few spool bearings on larger internationals destined for trolling applications this way in order to marginally improve freespool times, when shielded and fully packed with grease.  I hope it doesn't cause complete displacement of the grade from the bearing housing.  I'll check em at the next service interval and see. 

Also, I've been hesitant to use TSI on any in the older bearings with integral plastic race/shield for fear of the ester-based lubricant degrading the plastic material.  In these cases I use Corrosion X or Grease only...am I off base here?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I use the 321 b/c if I remember right it doesn't have the solvent properties. I figure if I go thru all that cleaning I don't need it...

When I see the older plastic race bearings I try to change them to newer if they agree.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

I do too, though sometimes this isn't cost effective.  Also, my impression, of late, has been that these bearings tend to continue running relatively smooth even with noticable wear on the balls, whereas some bearings (I.e. ABEC 5 ceramic hybrids) seem to be intolerant of wear.
Hope springs eternal

Bryan Young

Those plastic races are actually Phenolic and I have seen much that can degrade phenol material once it's set.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

handi2

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Nuvole

I've use TSI301 on my bicycle U lock, all the plastic coating show some unremoveable white stain. I'll be caution using them on plastic parts. I've no issue using the 321.

thedw

steelfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 06, 2014, 11:26:45 PM
I have treated a select few spool bearings on larger internationals destined for trolling applications this way in order to marginally improve freespool times, when shielded and fully packed with grease.  I hope it doesn't cause complete displacement of the grade from the bearing housing.  I'll check em at the next service interval and see. 

well I was wondering something similar but without packed the non spool bearing with grease, just tsi 321, but the hole for the bearing in the handle plate put generous grease to prevent the exterior of the bearing to corrode and at the end add more grease of the side of the bearing to prevent corrosion on the spool shaft or pinion (metal to metal).
I know the more recommended advise is to pack the non spool bearing with grease, but if this 321 oil is extremmely good to adhiere to metal ball bearings it could work on the non handle bearings too, or do you think it will be gone from the bearings after 5-10 fishing trips?

sorry if I wasnt clear, sometimes on technical questions even on spanish I have hard time explaining myself  ;D ;D
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on June 06, 2015, 08:36:37 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 06, 2014, 11:26:45 PM

well I was wondering something similar but without packed the non spool bearing with grease, just tsi 321, but the hole for the bearing in the handle plate put generous grease to prevent the exterior of the bearing to corrode and at the end add more grease of the side of the bearing to prevent corrosion on the spool shaft or pinion (metal to metal).
I know the more recommended advise is to pack the non spool bearing with grease, but if this 321 oil is extremmely good to adhiere to metal ball bearings it could work on the non handle bearings too, or do you think it will be gone from the bearings after 5-10 fishing trips?

sorry if I wasnt clear, sometimes on technical questions even on spanish I have hard time explaining myself  ;D ;D

Anything you do regularly will be awesome. If you regularly apply TSI 321 you should have no trouble.

No oil to our knowledge holds up like grease does for the money, however. This will be the most cost and time effective method.

And keep in mind, that the more times you open up the reel to service it the more chance that you will strip a screw or the threads on your star etc etc....I have been meaning to complain that I am noticing more and more that reels are built so pretty and lightweight...but you have to be *very careful* opening them up repeatedly...they really are not robust enough for continual service.

foakes

And keep in mind, that the more times you open up the reel to service it the more chance that you will strip a screw or the threads on your star etc etc....I have been meaning to complain that I am noticing more and more that reels are built so pretty and lightweight...but you have to be *very careful* opening them up repeatedly...they really are not robust enough for continual service.

Good observation and good call, John --

But just hang tight --

When the manufacturers start using plastic screws, plastic gear sleeves, and plastic star threads -- everything will be fine --

No more stripping out or distorting of the tolerances between mating and fastening parts -- because there will not be any metal against plastic issues.  With some manufacturers -- we may not be too far from that scenario.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.