25,26,and 27 monofil reels

Started by txangler81, May 21, 2014, 08:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

I am thinking about buying some monofil reels are they worth it. I know they can be hot-rodded a little so what kind of drag force, and what pound test of line could I expect to run on the different models.

Thanks

Alto Mare

I would say 8lb max and 20lb line. There isn't much improvements you could to the drags.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Not to argue with Sal, heaven knows that's a losing proposition, but at home tonight I am seriously considering grinding a steel 155 main gear (what the monofil uses) to a hex shape and fill it with 1.4mm CF sheet. This reel has a Newell kit and aluminum spool and a stainless gear sleeve. I am cetain that with 3 disks I can get 15 or more pounds of drag. I am doing this solely as an experiment as their is no reason for a 100 sized reel to fish that much drag.

I believe these reels can have everything done to them that a surfaster can, they just have smaller main gears. I think the little monofil would be a great 20/25# reel and the bigger ones could go up to 30ish if you use braid.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Porthos

1. new HT100 washers (3+1)
2. Tiburon 146 frame (for a Penn 27)
3. 29L-100 spool (for a Penn 27)
4. 24-56 power handle
5. Cal's drag grease (drag stack) & Yamaha marine grease (everywhere else)
6. 12 38-8 Screws (Tib's frame holes for the stand are same depth as the post holes)
7. 98-155AT Stainless steel gear sleeve
8. 13-200 pinion

Here's the end result: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8805.0

SoCalAngler

Before you buy anything wait and open up the reels to see what you have first. I bought a $10 garage sale reel and when I opened it up I found a Newell spool and steel gears, nice. I added some greased Carbontex drags and some new bars do to corrosion of the old bars.....Thanks Sal. I also added a new reel foot because of corrosion. There was some on top of the foot under the spool, you couldn't really see it but I knew it was there.

I use the reel sparingly on a old Sabre rod when I feel like going retro, so no frame for me. I was thinking about changing out the handle but then the reel looses some of that old school style. I only use 15-20 lb test on the reel anyway so I chose form over function and kept that retro look.

The reel cleaned up nicely with only a few parts changed, mainly for looks.

txangler81

are there any aluminum spools for these reels

doradoben

The surfmaster aluminum spools fit. Porthos listed the number for the narrow (29L-100). They are not discontinued, 29L-150 & 29L-200 are the others. So you can still get new ones from PennParts or  maybe search for used on the big auction site.