Returning to my fishing roots

Started by Olvart, May 22, 2014, 02:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: Olvart on May 25, 2014, 04:44:41 AM
Thanks for the response Dominick.
When I lived in AK I did a lot of gunsmithing and even owned a gun shop in Anchorage.
Olvart
PS how do I send a private message to Alan?

I lived in Ketchikan before messing up my left leg.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Oldvart:  Owned a gunsmith shop.  Hmmm.  I have a Weatherby 300 Mag that sometimes fires when the gun is cocked and I take the safety off.  I did not know of that situation but I sold the gun and the buyer discovered the problem.  Of course I gave him back his money, but now I am afraid to use the rifle because of that problem.  Any ideas?  Anyone have a theory?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Olvart

Quote from: Dominick on May 25, 2014, 06:56:26 PM
Oldvart:  Owned a gunsmith shop.  Hmmm.  I have a Weatherby 300 Mag that sometimes fires when the gun is cocked and I take the safety off.  I did not know of that situation but I sold the gun and the buyer discovered the problem.  Of course I gave him back his money, but now I am afraid to use the rifle because of that problem.  Any ideas?  Anyone have a theory?  Dominick
Dominick,
I can't tell you what's wrong without the gun in front of me.Is it a Mark V? Early Mauser action? Or Vanguard?
I will say most likely it is a simple fix,loose trigger assy,incorrect trigger adjustment.etc.
The Mark v's had a ball bearing to adjust firing pin protrusion,often lost.
Wood stock or synthetic,possible fit problems but I would look at the trigger first and firing pin assy.
A good gunsmith should be able to diagnose & fix this in 30 minutes or less.
Tight lines

Dominick

Olvart: the buyer claimed he took it to a gunsmith and was told that there was nothing he could do and he should send it to Weatherby.  After he returned the gun I was able to duplicate the problem.  It is the old Mauser action.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Olvart

Quote from: Dominick on May 28, 2014, 04:14:23 AM
Olvart: the buyer claimed he took it to a gunsmith and was told that there was nothing he could do and he should send it to Weatherby.  After he returned the gun I was able to duplicate the problem.  It is the old Mauser action.  Dominick
Dominick,
Is this a Southgate,Ca early Weatherby built on an FN action (factory rifle) or is this a gunsmith built 300 WBY on some other action like a 1917 Enfield (very common).In any case my answer stands.
Look at the trigger first,that includes the FP assy and the safety. A picture would help.Find a new gunsmith that is at least 60 years old. ;D

Dominick

I'll take it apart next week and PM you a photo or start a new thread in the firearms section.  Dominick

anglingarchitect

It's Red Snapper Season in Florida all 9 days of it LOL.

Home all the guys here do good on the trip south.