Washing a reel with fresh water after fishing salt water?

Started by Corky, May 22, 2014, 03:42:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Quote from: Corky on May 22, 2014, 03:42:44 AM
I have heard most professionals say, don't rinse a reel with water. We fish in some sloppy conditions and it just doesn't make sense. Salt destroys everything. I always use a spray bottle to rinse the rod and at least run a little water on the line. What do I do about salt getting inside the reel?
Corky
Corky the next time you hear a "professional" professional what I don't know, clue him or her into this site.  Why would anyone say it is okay to not rinse off salt water?  Aaaaaaargh.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Newell Nut

I spray mine down with Dawn and water mix and then rinse with fresh water spray. My 540 3.2 has been cleaned this way for over 20 years and still on the original bearings and everything works great. The only mods are the super drags by Bryan plus my under gear mod for a total of 6.
Since this one has held up so well I continue to treat the others in collection the same way. Don't fix what ain't broke.

Corky

Wow, this was my first post and what a response. Thanks guys. and Thank you Alan for supplying the medium. I do appreciate all of you responding.
Corky

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 23, 2014, 11:13:25 PM
I spray mine down with Dawn and water mix and then rinse with fresh water spray. My 540 3.2 has been cleaned this way for over 20 years and still on the original bearings and everything works great. The only mods are the super drags by Bryan plus my under gear mod for a total of 6.
Since this one has held up so well I continue to treat the others in collection the same way. Don't fix what ain't broke.
I would not use Dawn as it tends to wash away grease.  Use a spray bottle of "Saltaway" mixed with fresh water, then rinse with fresh water.  Saltaway also leaves a protective coating against salt.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Dominick on May 25, 2014, 01:19:34 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on May 23, 2014, 11:13:25 PM
I would not use Dawn as it tends to wash away grease.  Use a spray bottle of "Saltaway" mixed with fresh water, then rinse with fresh water.  Saltaway also leaves a protective coating against salt.  Dominick

I have used the saltaway (and it works great on lures as well) I also use a weak vinegar solution to wipe teh outside  - cleans off the salt really well - then rinse

i also submerge my reels in fresh for a few - helps take the salt out of the line

As for teh "pro" what does he recommend i do with my FW reels - rinse them in salt after each trip :)(

tacklerat

Hi guys,

can vouch for the saltaway product too,excellent stuff on boats,fishing gear and anything that is subjected to the marine environment.Been using it religiously for the last 10 years or so.  ;)

regards

Bucktail

A thorough misting of the reel with fresh water is the best way to get salt off your reels.  It flushes the salt away without forcing salt crystals into the reel.
Just a jig-a-lo