Triple dog dare

Started by Three se7ens, May 22, 2014, 05:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Heres a little sneak peek at a project I'm working on.  Still need to machine a stem before I can put it in a reel for testing.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Three se7ens

Little more progress on it.  Sure does sound nice with the alternating dogs

Dominick

I got 3      I got 3    I got 3    I got 3 gimme 4 gimme 4 come folks gimme 4 going once going twice, we got 3.
That's it.  :D :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Very nice. I've gone with Alan's, but that one is going to be cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Three se7ens

erikpowell

Rat a Tat Tat ......  ;D ;D
That's gonna sound awesome!

Tightlines667

I like the fact the springs are arranged at right angles and the load will be relatively close to bolts (except one is likely to take a little more force over time.  I would think given that the reel handle is often in the down position when under max strain, it might make sense to try to ensure a dog (preferably close to an anchor point) engages here?  I don't know, just a thought. 

Nice job!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 26, 2014, 08:57:14 AM
I like the fact the springs are arranged at right angles and the load will be relatively close to bolts (except one is likely to take a little more force over time.  I would think given that the reel handle is often in the down position when under max strain, it might make sense to try to ensure a dog (preferably close to an anchor point) engages here?  I don't know, just a thought. 

Nice job!

The springs all undergo the same amount of compression and extension.  I designed it in CAD such that the center of the spring is the same distance from the pivot of the dog for all 3 dogs.  Since that picture, I changed out the springs for lighter ones, the original ones were far stronger than I had wanted.  It sounded like the clicker was left on.  I didn't want the extra wear with everything being stainless. 

Every 15 degrees of handle rotation, a dog is engaged.  There really is not much back play in the handle, it's easily comparable to modern reels without an instant AR bearing.

The side plate needs only minimal grinding to fit this bridge with the 3 dogs. 

Alto Mare

Very nice work Adam, you have lots of talent. Thanks for sharing it with us, I know that one day we will all benefit from them.
All you need to do now is to actually make us some ;D , I've noticed that you're bouncing from one project to another and not much production, but that could also be a good thing.
On the pic of the 9/0 plate, it appears if you use two of the dogs there is no need to grind the plate is this correct? Not nocking your triple dogs, just a curiosity.
On another note, I know that there where talks about parts for the SS spinner, ratchets and dogs, is anything happening there? I've been getting emails from some wanting those, is anyone making them?
Keep that flame burning Adam ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Three se7ens

I had cut these parts a few weeks ago, but couldn't do anything until I found the right springs.  The first ones were really stiff, but the ones I have now are perfect. 

I started a new job this week, so the last few weeks were hectic trying to get all my drawings from work backed up, and getting some of my projects cut before I left the old job.  I wanted to get as many of the prototypes done as I could, because I can always order more parts now that the drawings are saved.

There is an update in the penn spinner dog thread, and hopefully I'll be able to have them cut at my new job without the problems I was having.

The side with 2 dogs was solid, so you have to grind to fit even just one of them, as well as grind a small notch in the other side to clear the spring.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 31, 2014, 03:47:00 PM

The side with 2 dogs was solid, so you have to grind to fit even just one of them, as well as grind a small notch in the other side to clear the spring.
Yes you're right, I was thinking 4/0 plate for left or right. Nevertheless, the 9/0 is much easier to grind than the smaller reels, not a big deal... considering
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Three se7ens

Now that I've got a few projects out of the way, I'm going to start working on this a bit more.  Next step, I need a few people interested in testing these, as I probably won't get to fish mine until next summer.  Any takers? 

gstours

Thanks for sharing the info,  your work is top notch for experimenting.......great pictures,  a great winter project I,m thinkin, of a few right now!!!