latest reel parts

Started by jurelometer, May 22, 2014, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: Three se7ens on May 31, 2014, 06:05:50 AM
You could always machine the acetal spacer to have a short wiper on each end that contacts the shaft tighter than the rest of the spacer.   That would reduce overall friction, allowing a tighter fit on the ends to keep out salt and sand.

Id stick to delrin for its stability.  Teflon cold-flows, so the tolerances will degrade under pressure.  Acetal (or delrin), tends to function far better as a bushing. 

Thanks,

The wiper would be fun to try.

I was intending to use acetal with 13% PTFE.   Do you think cold flow is still an issue with this stuff?

Three se7ens

I think it would be just fine.  The majority is delrin, so it should hold its shape under load well, with the teflon reducing friction. I bet the 13% Teflon came about from the company testing different ratios and finding a good balance of strength and low friction.

Tightlines667

Wow, this is interesting stuff.  Always thought Delron/Feflon would make good undergear washers, and could function well as bushings.  Just wonder what the effects on freespool might be.  I'm sure it performs well under load (in terms of deformation properties), just wonder if non ester based oils/speed lubes would adhere and stay there.  I guess they would still bind to the spool shaft.  Grease seems to stay put pretty well overtime.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.