Penn 112 lack of drag.

Started by AEM, May 24, 2014, 02:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEM

I just picked up a Peen 112 that has been updated with a Tiburon frame, stainless internals and washers and drags from Smooth drag. The problem is it only creates about 5 lb of drag with the star fully locked. I have checked the drags and washers and they seem to be installed correctly.  I have also played with the spacing sleeve and tension springs but not helps so far. Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed.

DaBigOno

Aloha AEM,

Would it be possible for you to post a pic of the dis-assembled reel in order? Especially the drag stack and spool??

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

broadway

Sounds like a drag stack issue. Things could be out of order or maybe the last eared washer isn't seating properly?
As Dab said, we need more info to diagnose the problem.
Dom

Keta

Quote from: broadway on May 24, 2014, 04:17:58 PM
.... maybe the last eared washer isn't seating properly?

This is the most common cause for low drag pressure after servicing a reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AEM

Thanks for the input. I'll give you a little history. I picked up this reel on Ebay for a decent price. It just had a lack of drag. The reel was disassembled and cleaned of any excess grease. I used carb cleaner on the hard parts and finished them in my wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner.( no she does not know it and yes I will replace it before she finds out) I removed as much grease as I could from the washer that goes between the main gear and sleeve and kept the surfaces clean, the washer measures to be on Smooth Drags chart to a #15 with the drag washers being #21 with a thickness of .76mm/.030 inches. I hit the stainless drag washer with 600 grit paper. These washers are .96mm/.038in in thickness. The middle washer with the dog ears fits smoothly in the main gear. This is a 3 drag washer set. Upon re-assembly I feel that from the handle side if I hold the spool I get good smooth resistance but on the spool side I can pull out line easily. I measure about 6 lb. I compared this to a old 500l which gave me 15lb and to daiwa 40hv with fresh smooth drags and it gave me 20. This way I know its not my scale. I am thinking I will have to replace the main gear washer with one that has less grease satuation. Thank you for your input and expertise.

johndtuttle

Looking at your stack you seem to be missing at least one belleville washer (8A)? You have the light spring washer which really is just to give some tension to keep the star from loosening but not the heavier one to really transfer the star pressure to the outside of the drag discs where they will make the most braking power.

I could be wrong but am searching your image for one and just don't see it.

You need a set up that looks like this ])=sX

Where:

] = drag washer
) = Heavy belleville
= = Sleeve
s = light spring
X = Star

best

AEM

Thanks for the input. This reel does not have a Belleville washer. Just a spring washer. I checked the parts diagram I downloaded from Mystic Reel Parts for this 3/0 and it does not show one but it might be worth a try. I will check my other reels to see if there is one to steal for a trial.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Cone

Is there spectra used as backing under the mono? The Braid could be slipping on the spool. Just something else to think about.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Quote from: Cone on May 26, 2014, 09:12:00 PM
Is there spectra used as backing under the mono? The Braid could be slipping on the spool. Just something else to think about.
Bob

X2

The drag stack could use a Bellville spring washer rather than the week wavy spring washer but it looks stock.  I would suggest putting in a 5+1 stack.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

AEM

Thanks for the replies. I will reload the spectra good and tight and try a Belleville washer as soon as I find one to fit.

Keta

Put some tape on your spool first so the Spectra can grip it.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Before you take your reel apart again, back the star and place another small tension spring washer on top of the spacer sleeve, same as the one on top of your stack and see what happens. At times the tension spring gets soft and needs to be replaced, I don't have issues using those, I actually like them better than the heavy Belleville washer on some of my reels, I like softer drag on small reels at start.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Bryan has some lighter Bellville washers for the 500/112H reels that I've found work real well, they are a bit stiffer than the factory wavy washers though.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on May 26, 2014, 09:59:06 PM
Bryan has some lighter Bellville washers for the 500/112H reels that I've found work real well, they are a bit stiffer than the factory wavy washers though.
Now that's a good thing, I never have luck using the heavy Belleville on the 112H and smaller. They work great on the 113H's and 114h's though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The first ones I had were too heavy did not work well without a wavy washer under the star.

Mark Twain