NMFS 2013 Status of the Fish Stocks Report

Started by Tightlines667, May 28, 2014, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Ron Jones

I know that the evidence is anecdotal, but a whole bunch of people I know in So Cal are saying they haven't seen this many bluefin in years, seems odd that that happens the year they are added to the overfished list.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tightlines667

Status assesment a are typically based on the best population level (basin-wide) data, and are heavily biased towards commercial landings, since this typically represents the most robust data sets.   Sometimes international transshipment and foreign fleet landings are under reported and/or misrepresented.  It is extremely challenging to incorporate spatial and temporal (inter annual/seasonal) shifts in oceanographic conditions in these assessments.  Having said that, the overall robustness of the data allows for increased accuracy when looking at larger/macro time/space scales.  Local abundance estimates for highly migratory species (such as BFT), are challenging and largely ineffectual.  The predicted El Niño event will likely lead to higher BFT abundance in S Cali/mex waters this year, but we can not confuse local abundance or short-term increases in catch ability/landings with population level abundance.  In fact better fishing conditions and catch ability in a given short time scale can be misleading in terms of abundance.  

On the other hand some short-lived, limited home range type species need just the opposite treatment when conducting accurate population assessments...with more weight being given to finer temporal-spatial characteristics.  Salmon are a case in point here.  Sometimes population assessments are lacking good data (ie commercial landings), so they must utilize longer term sampling protocols,, despite the fact that shorter term schemes would likely yield more accurate results.  

The populatiom models employed here typically err on the side of caution.

Typically listing and delisting (overfished status) fish species usually lags a bit on both ends.  This is due in part to data constraints, and in part due to management considerations (deadlines/schedules, data availablity).  Sometimes finer scale more accurate sampling regimes become more readily available for 'listed' stocks, while other times listing, and the management measures initiated to rebuild can limit the effectiveness of population assessments (like when a commercial fishery is closed, that provided the primary catch data).   The sanctity of sampling protocols (and maintaining long term data robustness) sometimes takes precedence over the implementation of new sampling schemes, even when clearly warranted.  Other sampling schemes have inherent flaws and might fail to account for any number of important population-level effects.   Keeping your finger on the pulse of the nations fish stocks is no easy task, especially when dealing with species which are long lived and have widespread distribution, and/or temporal/seasonal shifts in distribution. 

I've noticed many that over the past decade, there have actually been some notable sucess stories and population level recoveries of some fish/shark stocks that had been listed for decades, proff to some that management measures (and responsable individual practices) can work given time.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 28, 2014, 02:55:47 AM
 The predicted El Niño event will likely lead to higher BFT abundance in S Cali/mex waters this year, but we can not confuse local abundance or short-term increases in catch ability/landings with population level abundance.  In fact better fishing conditions and catch ability in a given short time scale can be misleading in terms of abundance.  

On the other hand some short-lived, limited home range type species need just the opposite treatment when conducting accurate population assessments...with more weight being given to finer temporal-spatial characteristics.  Salmon are a case in point here.  Sometimes population assessments are lacking good data (ie commercial landings), so they must utilize longer term sampling protocols,, despite the fact that shorter term schemes would likely yield more accurate results.  

Keeping your finger on the pulse of the nations fish stocks is no easy task, especially when dealing with species which are long lived and have widespread distribution, and/or temporal/seasonal shifts in distribution. 
Thanks for the information.  Good call on the El Nino phenomenon.  Get ready for the unusual.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Please, don't get me wrong. Management of an internationally consumed resource such as migratory sea food can really only be done by something with the resources of the government in my opinion. I just put more weight into local observation than most. My primary reasoning for this is whale population, in the 80s and 90s the US government allowed some military resources to track whales. We counted more blue whales in a day then I was told at school existed on the planet. Turns out, locals in some areas were telling the scientists all along that their numbers didn't make sense.

It is clear to me that conservation works, it is also true that it is not an exact science and that often the sampling scheme in use works well for some politician on some committee.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"