new ss gear sleeve pin problems

Started by wormtosser, July 20, 2010, 11:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wormtosser

Alan,

Penn 113h needed a tune-up, decided to upgrade to ss gear sleeve from mysticparts.com.  Sleeve is beautiful but I swear that pin will not go in that hole...  i even cheated and chamfered the pin a little. Finally bent the pin (!)  Two pins tried, all 4 holes on the sleeve tried, por nada.  Never had this problem with brass gear sleeves.  Is there anything I should know? Or should I just grab a drill bit and (carefully) get busy on the sleeve?  I've got a spare pin.

I've got two more ss gear sleeves ready to go on a couple of jigmasters - don't want to start until I figure this out.  Thanks for any advice you've got.

JG

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

wish I was fishing

Hi,
I had a similar problem with a 112h, apparently some of the stainless steel sleeves will not work on the new bridges or ones made in china?
Could that be the reason in your case
Dave
Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

Bryan Young

I was just thinking in my sleep (yeah, I do that a lot with interesting problems), and I though possibly, measure the base to the pin hole and then measure the shaft from the base to the grove in the shaft where the pin will go.  It may be off based upon different design.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

the 4/0 senator penn 113h stainless steel gear sleeve that i had made for mysticparts.com takes a special stainless steel dowel pin.  if you do not have one, i can send one to you.  send me a pm with your address and i will send out out.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wormtosser

Quote from: BryanYoung on July 21, 2010, 01:25:59 PM
I was just thinking in my sleep (yeah, I do that a lot with interesting problems), and I though possibly, measure the base to the pin hole and then measure the shaft from the base to the grove in the shaft where the pin will go.  It may be off based upon different design.

Thanks Brian, yes, I checked this and it does line up.  And as someone who once played a doctor, (not on TV but in a bar), I recommend one more cocktail before bedtime to banish those reel dreams.

wormtosser

Quote from: alantani on July 21, 2010, 05:36:11 PM
the 4/0 senator penn 113h stainless steel gear sleeve that i had made for mysticparts.com takes a special stainless steel dowel pin.  if you do not have one, i can send one to you.  send me a pm with your address and i will send out out.  alan

Thanks Alan, will pm.

alantani

you know, this is all basically my fault ........   :-\

wormtosser

alantani

so what happened was that a machinist friend of mine made the gear sleeve for the penn 113h.  he used the same pin hole that is used in the jigmaster gear sleeves even though he had a brass version to work off of.  i approved the prototype and missed the mistake.  if i had caught it, they we could use the same original pin without having go to to that special stainless steel roll pin.