shimano TLD 50 questions

Started by tacklerat, May 28, 2014, 11:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tacklerat

Hi guys, had a couple questions on the shimano TLD 50's

firstly opinions on the older supposedly superior japanese built models versus the newer supposedly tuffer graphite models.
Also have seen the horror pics of frame failures, are the metal frames for these still available?

would u fish 80lb through the LRS model or stick with 50lb mono to stay within the limits of the body?

any feedback appreciated,thanks.

regards

conchydong

Most of the failures that I have seen were on the older (Japanese) graphite frames in the original series. The A series, supposedly has stronger frames. Having said that, I still put a Willfish aluminum frame on my TLD 50IIA.They do increase the weight of the reel a bunch though.  I am not sure if these frames are still available but you can contact Willfish Tackle in Auburn Ca. Here is their information:

Willfish Tackle

11944 Masters Ct, Auburn, CA 95603

(530) 887-0839

BTW, the regular 50 and the 50 LRSA are the same reel with just a different drag cam in the lever. One is for 50 and the LRSA is for 80

erikpowell

I personally wouldn't trust the newer Malaysian frames any more than the older frames.
For 50lb mono you should be fine at the appropriate drag setting.

80lb is sketchy..my 50 LRS frame exploded at 27lbs of drag on a 130lb YFT.

If you want to fish 80lb, buy the Tyrnos 50 LRSA and leave the worries behind.... BUT, do a thorough service on that Tyrnos first !

tacklerat

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies.I have the newer version tld50II LRS version which was purchased to fish 80lb at the time for large yellowtail kingfish  close to structure.I have plenty of other reels to do that job like tiagras, makairas etc.So thinking I may be better bulk filling the TLD 50 with straight 50lb mono instead and stay within the limits of the reel.
50lb mono on the TLD will give me good capacity which would be helpful for bluefin tuna fishing too.
The metal frame mod sounds great but in my case probably not required as I have other reels to do the job.
Possibly use my tiagra 30 LRS for this job instead,don't really require alot of line as such,just stopping power really in a nice to hold outfit.
Has anyone hotted up a tiagra 30 LRS to fish 80lb mono? worth doing?

tacklerat

Also just noticed another thread on here in regard to changing the belleville washers configuration on the tiagra 30WLRS   ;D
May be something I will look at,thanks  ;)