Avet HXW 5/2 problem help!

Started by reeldeal, May 28, 2014, 04:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reeldeal

Hey all fairly new poster here but love this forum!

I have rebuilt a few lx, and am stuck on this hxw 5/2. I have successfully cleaned and repaired Avet sx, jx, lx, but this is my first two speed reel Avet to do, am I missing something???
Feels like the drag is binding big time when I put it together. I could not find any tutorials anywhere for this particular reel. Can anyone Help me???
A few things about the reel,
When the 2 speed button is depressed and the drag is in "free" position i can still move the spool with the handle. When I tighten the drag it feels very stiff.
When the 2 speed button is engaged putting it in low gear. The reel feels less bind.
Can the problem be the amount of Belleville washers? The schematic I was looking at called for 4 I beleive.
Please help ASAP I need to get this reel together soon!

johndtuttle

Quote from: reeldeal on May 28, 2014, 04:40:35 PM

I have rebuilt a few lx, and am stuck on this hxw 5/2. I have successfully cleaned and repaired Avet sx, jx, lx, but this is my first two speed reel Avet to do, am I missing something???
Feels like the drag is binding big time when I put it together. I could not find any tutorials anywhere for this particular reel. Can anyone Help me???
When the 2 speed button is depressed and the drag is in "free" position i can still move the spool with the handle. When I tighten the drag it feels very stiff.
When the 2 speed button is engaged putting it in low gear. The reel feels less bind.
Can the problem be the amount of Belleville washers? The schematic I was looking at called for 4 I beleive.

First off, usually when the drag binds big time you simply have put the cam inside the drag preset knob in the wrong way.

If your reel was working before you took it apart it does not need more belleville washers though, the order has to be right ().

give those a try and let us know how if your problem is fixed.

reeldeal

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 28, 2014, 05:35:45 PM

First off, usually when the drag binds big time you simply have put the cam inside the drag preset knob in the wrong way.

If your reel was working before you took it apart it does not need more belleville washers though, the order has to be right ().

So should there only be 2 of the belleville washers?

johndtuttle

Quote from: reeldeal on May 28, 2014, 08:55:35 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on May 28, 2014, 05:35:45 PM

So should there only be 2 of the belleville washers?

All of these in an LD reel are variable depending on the production run. Sometimes there are more or less than shown on the schematic. They function both to smooth out the drag curve as well as to shim the spool.

alantani

did you check the right main side plate bearing?  it sounds bad. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reeldeal

Quote from: alantani on May 29, 2014, 02:26:39 AM
did you check the right main side plate bearing?  it sounds bad. 

I REPLACED ALL THE BEARINGS ON THIS REEL SINCE IT WAS ROUGH...

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS, I FINALLY GO IT, I THINK.
THE BELLEVILLE WASHERS WERE NOT ARRANGED PROPERLY...