155 Beachmaster spool type

Started by SacFly, May 30, 2014, 12:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SacFly

I have a 155 that I use for inshore bottom fishing - porgy, seabass, fluke- no tacklebusters.  I think it has a chromed spool.  I also have an old beater 155 with what looks like a black plastic 2 piece spool. 

I don't boat fish that much but I'm getting more overruns than I like when I flip baits out with the chrome spool.  I was thinking the plastic spool might slow things down a bit.  Any advice before I switch the line over?  Any other info about the different spools would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I've got mono on the bottom, 40lb braid in the middle, and 25yrds of 30mono on top. 

Ron Jones

THe plastic spools are lightweight spools and have spun better than the brass spools for me, I think you would be going backwards. I'd recomend starting with grease in the bushings to slow the brass spool down.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Make sure there isn't any side to side play in the spool. Tighten the Nut on the Left side of the Reel little by little till the over run stops.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SacFly

Quote from: bluefish69 on May 30, 2014, 01:02:34 AM
Make sure there isn't any side to side play in the spool. Tighten the Nut on the Left side of the Reel little by little till the over run stops.

Mike

Maybe that's all it needs.  I played with that a bit, but I didn't know if using that to actually slow the spool down would mess up the bushing.

Thanks to this site I got it apart, lubed it up, and got it back together.  Now it's too smooth, lol.  I definitely need some practice.

---Ron---
Greasing the bushings will slow it down?  I'm not looking for long casts off the beach.  Just controllable 40ft underhand lobs from the boat. 

Ron Jones

If the bushings are currently oiled then switching to grease will slow the spool down.
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Falhooked

Hello Sacfly, your free spool casting situation might be caused by the line not a good free spool.  Here is some of what I have observed.
- I use waxed 50 lb dacron backing on the arbor a few layers deep.  Attach this to whatever braid, depends on the fishing, then carefully choose as smooth a knot you can find to tie a shorter (about 10 yards) clear monofilament top shot. 
- The shorter mono top shot has less tendency to slip against the braid with whatever thumb pressure on the spool you find appropriate.  Alternatively you can wrap the mono to one side in an "uneven winding" of the mono and apply thumb pressure directly to your braid,  which is usually tighter wound and more evenly wound.  When I fish long top shots that cover the entire width of the spool several wraps deep, there is usually some slip between the braid and mono interface.  The thumb pressure with casting seems to magnify this aggravating tendency.   
- On underhanded casts from party boats in the North East (NY and New England) 20-25 yds casts are common with this line setup on several conventional reels.  It's also dependent on the amount of lead to hold bottom.
Hope this helps, good luck and good fishing.