TLD bearing removal question

Started by indoman, May 30, 2014, 03:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indoman

What's the trick to removing the spool bearing?  It seems to be stuck and I don't want to damage the spool or shaft removing it.

Also, on Alan's tutorial he says the drive shaft bearing is an 8x16x5 , but I noticed on the Smooth Drag website they sell a TLD 15 bearing set that is 7x17x5 and 6x12x4.    Not a 8x16x5 ?? 

day0ne

Which spool bearing? The one under the drag plate or the one on the left end of the spool? If the one on the right side of the spool sticks, remove the shaft, etc the stick a small rod in from the left and tap it out. Actually that works for the other spool bearing, just in reverse. As far as the bearings go, it is best to measure the ones you have to be sure. I couldn't find where Alan gave the TLD bearing sizes. What TLD are you working on?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

indoman

Its the one that stays on the spool. Working on a 15/30 star drag.  Thx

Bryan Young

the TLD 15 (lever drag) and TLD 15/30 (star drag) are different reels and use different bearings.  I'm not sure if this helps or not.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

indoman

Alan's post was titled "tld star 15/30 and 20/40" from dec of 08.   

conchydong

If I remember correctly the older TLD 15s and the more recent ones have different sized bearings (at least one of them). Best to measure them.

day0ne

The point Bryan was trying to make is the TLD 15 is a lever drag and different from a Star 15/30. Dawn lists bearings for a TLD 15 but not specifically for the TLD Star 15/30. You have to order them from her by the size or order from Boca

http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inventory/7291/fr005-shimano-tld-15/30-s-star-drag
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

indoman

Ok. Thx.   

Any thoughts on removing spool bearing?  Part #482.  Won't come off spool shaft. 

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

indoman, have you tried soaking it using WD40 type lubricant? Though I discovered CorrosionX works better than WD. Also the bearing's, TGT0482, dimension is 6 x 12 x 4 mm. hope this helps...

btw if you do a search on General Maintenance Tips>Ordering Reel Parts by entering bearing sizes by reel, you'll find it very informative and useful.

alantani

just jumping in the middle here.  you saw the retaining c-clips?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

ahhh, the word from above....there's a c-clip..  Thanks Bosso!  ;)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on June 01, 2014, 06:49:40 PM
just jumping in the middle here.  you saw the retaining c-clips?

Alan is there a retaining clip for the TLD star?

alantani

ah, got it.  there shouldn't be a retaining clip for either spool bearing in the tld star.  it's common for the right spool bearing to get rusted on.  to remove it, what you do is get a pair of matching flat screwdrivers.  wedge the blades under the bearing at opposite sides, 180 degrees, and then twist the screwdrivers both clockwise to lift up the bearing with equal pressure on opposite sides.  that should do the trick. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

indoman

I found a previous post on the site where Alan described putting the vise grips to a stubborn bearing and cracking it "like a pistachio".  Worked like a charm.  Sometime ya miss the obvious. Cleared away the debris.  Shot the inner race with some Kroil and it twisted /pulled off pretty easy.   Thanks!