I haven't done maintenance on this yet..

Started by DanteV, May 31, 2014, 06:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanteV

When it was time to buy a new reel this was the place I came to when doing my research. I didn't know where to post this so figured the Okuma page was in the ballpark. The improvements they made to the SEa lineup was pretty impressive but I wanted one in gold. A few phone calls to Okuma and Charkbait it was good to go and not long after this beauty showed up at the door! All the SE upgrades were done to a standard Gold series Mak 15. I call it the Mak 15SEg.  ;D The Charks put 60# braid on it with a 50# Izor topshot for free. I've got a 4 day tuna trip coming up in August and this will be my 50# rig when we get into the 60-100+ pound BFT! It spins like mad and can't wait to put a bait on it and holler "FRESH ONE!!" So impressed with this reel I went ahead and ordered a Mak 10SEa as well.. it ain't as purty, but it's gonna be my 40# go-to!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tacklerat

Nice reel DanteV,

I have also recently grabbed a couple of these beasts, have to give them the royal treatment too before I use them,cheers   ;)

regards

SoCalAngler

Dante,

On your next reel you may want to try Izorline's XXX line as your topshot. It looks like in the pics that you went with standard Izor's which is not a bad choice but I like the Triple X as I call it much better. It comes in two flavors, smoke and clear. Once I started fishing this line about 10 years ago its about all I use. Mark carries it at his shop if your buying your next reel there also.

Eric_LBZ

Quote from: alantani on June 01, 2014, 03:39:05 AM
yup, they're nice!!!!!   ;D
Alan -Do you recommend opening this reel up for a general service? i have about 2 trips on my Mak 15 SEa.

alantani

Eric_LBZ

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2015, 06:51:10 AM
you're good for the next 5 years!  ;D
Also just got the neW Andros A 5ll.  How about this one?

alantani

the andros has a 1 year guarantee (i think), but is put together the same way as the makaira.  it's a trickle down effect.  i hesitate to tell guys to just dive right into an andros or makaira, because they are a little tricky.  fish with it and let's just see.   take a look at the rebuild posts, also, and get familiar with the reel.  if you feel comfortable taking a peek inside, go ahead.  just be aware that there will be a learning curve on this reel and it is a little steeper than most. 

Eric_LBZ

Thanks Alan. Looking forward to fishing this reel end of the month at Colonet.