Triple dog 500l test .

Started by Mattman NZ, May 31, 2014, 11:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Hi guys - I've been wanting to go out and put the triple dogged bridge to the test to see how it will hold up ie stainless dogs on the brass teeth on the main shaft - but due to health and weather I haven't been able to get out . I had a brainstorm the other day and decided to simulate fishing my reel via my drill press for an hour or more and strip and check for wear .Before i assembled everything I jewelled the bridge and gave the dogs a final polish-measured the teeth opposing each other on the main shaft and inked the tops of the teeth with vivid black marker.
Before

after

And now a good look at the teeth and underside of the main shaft .

And a quick measure

All greased up and ready to go.

The frame that will hold the plate while testing .

All lined up and ready to go .

And here she goes....6-59pm .

And turned the drill press off at 8-23pm total 1 hour 24 min at 500 rpm .

42000 total revs we have this slight dirty colouration of grease - looks like its come frome under the main stem - teeth look ok ?

Looks like the dirty coloured grease cam from this area -could have been caused by not being lined up in the drill press properly ?

And the teeth i would of thought there would be no ink left after the test .I was surprised too .

Looks like it was before the test and measured the same .

And a few scuff marks here - I should have used a shim .

Im happy with the end result - nothing broke with only slight wear here and there  ;D.

Dominick

All I can say is Wow!  Good job.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

:o    Bro, you've a touch of seriousness about the way you do things!     ;D
I like it! I think the Greasy pic should be Photo of the Month material.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

broadway

I'd say it passed ...what a test!
Dom

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

I am in such awe Matt.  Good job.  Would love to have heard it. ratatatata...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

floating doc

I'm impressed. I would like to see (and hear) a video of the test. I wonder what it sounded like with three dogs running a 500 rpm?
Central Florida

skrilla

Right on cool test. Thanks for sharing.

Jon Vadney

Quote from: floating doc on June 02, 2014, 07:19:38 PM
I'm impressed. I would like to see (and hear) a video of the test. I wonder what it sounded like with three dogs running a 500 rpm?

Probably sounds like my tiburon SST turning at 10rpm  :P