Rockfish Trip on the Queen of Hearts, Half Moon Bay, CA

Started by El Pescador, June 01, 2014, 02:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Friday, long time fishing friend, Harry, and I booked a Rock cod trip on the Queen of Hearts out of Half Moon Bay.  
Frist time the Boat has been out in a week due to high winds and seas.  
90 minutes to the fishing grounds; the reefs south of the Pigeon Point Lighthouse.

The day was slow going, water was churned up, and we had 5 foot swells from the NW.
18 people on the boat, and by days ends, 9 were sea sick – this charter became a regular pukefest!  
So sorry for those who became sick, they ranged from 4 yr. old boy to his 72 year old Grandfather.

I lost Harry around 11am and interesting, he has fished the Pacific Ocean off the San Mateo Coast for 40 years – NEVER got sick until this trip.  
Around noon I has something I could only describe as a "productive burp".  I fall into that small category of fishing people how have never been seasick,
so I enjoyed a beer and continued to fish.

Interesting, at days end when the boat passed through the break in the seawall near the boat harbor and the Captain was explaining about tipping the deck hand (Wally or Wallace – he was fantastic!) and how to disembark from the boat,
it was only a few minutes later that EVERYONE who was seasick was now feeling fine, laughing, the kids were moving around the deck,
all was well with the world.

On the way back to San Mateo, I stopped by Dominick's home and dropped off my largest black rockfish and some slabs for him and Linda to enjoy.  
He told me to return around 6pm, the steamed fish will be read to eat & enjoy.

Showing up at the appointed hour, Dom hands me a glass of Zin, and we enjoyed the finest steamed rockfish I have EVER eaten, EVER ! ! !
and I've purchased many $21.95, $24.95 & $26.95 steamed or fried whole fish from the best Asian, Japanese or Mexican restaurants here on the Peninsula.  

Dominick hit this one out of the Ball Park!

I have not asked him, but Dominick if you would post your recipe for all to read I know we will all enjoy it.  

Or better yet, stop by his home and enjoy his culinary skills – The man knows what he is going in the kitchen.

And let me apologize for not shooting any photographs of the trip or the steamed fish, I was in the fishing mode that day.  
Photographer Wayne will return again!

El Pescador!
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

alantani

hilarious!  sounds like a great time for at least half of the passengers!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Wayne:  Thanks for the compliments.  Best of all thanks for the rockfish.  Steaming is the way to go with fresh rockfish.  The recipe is not all that complicated.   ;)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

Quote from: Dominick on June 01, 2014, 07:36:19 PM
Wayne:  Thanks for the compliments.  Best of all thanks for the rockfish.  Steaming is the way to go with fresh rockfish.  The recipe is not all that complicated.   ;)  Dominick

in other words, bring more fish and may THEN he'll tell you!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

I'm not sure but... Dinner sounds like the best part of the day.
And getting Dom's recipe sounds like a maybe at best.   ;)

I've chummed while fishing, never been too sick to not fish.
Get a bite and like magic the nausea is gone, back to waiting & back to chumming, repeat.
Done that a couple of times on boats.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

kmstorm64

I chummed once while kayak crabbing after wolfing down two McMuffins.   I don't care who you are, chucking up on a yak is the worst.  Not only do you have to watch where you throw up, but you got to keep your balance in the midst of it all.  Now I use dramamine the night before, and all is right with the world.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

El Pescador

Quote from: ChileRelleno on June 02, 2014, 12:37:50 AM
I'm not sure but... Dinner sounds like the best part of the day.
And getting Dom's recipe sounds like a maybe at best.   ;)

ChileRelleno!  I'll work on him!  But lately Dominick has been a working guy, recently filing a legal brief, or something like that, either way sounds like a serious NON-FISHING activity!

I have a secret weapon:  His wife Linda!!!!!  More to follow!
Seriously, his steamed Rockfish was out of this world!

Wayne

Dominick

I saw El Pescador last evening.  He is blackmailing me.  He said he will not bring more rockfish to me if I don't publish my recipe for steaming fish.  Therefore, under duress by this extortion I am publishing the recipe under the recipe section.  At http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10862.0

Dominick

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on June 04, 2014, 06:32:19 PM
I saw El Pescador last evening.  He is blackmailing me.  He said he will not bring more rockfish to me if I don't publish my recipe for steaming fish.  Therefore, under duress by this extortion I am publishing the recipe under the recipe section.  At http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10862.0

Dominick

Extortion...

Or the Power of Zin??

Either way, We got what we came for ;D

That was an enjoyable bottle last night!

And now more Rockfish will find their way to your refrig!!!

Wayne

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

wallacewt