6000 flat side spool help

Started by bruno36, June 03, 2014, 09:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruno36

Can I swap out a spool from my 6000 and use the spool from a 6000c? I would change the bushings to bearings of course.

alantani

never done a switch like this, not sure how far in you'd have to go.  it might be alot more that just the spool if the pinion gear does not fit.  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

Quote from: bruno36 on June 03, 2014, 09:13:07 AM
Can I swap out a spool from my 6000 and use the spool from a 6000c? I would change the bushings to bearings of course.
Hello. More info please...Are they both ultracast reels, or is one an older one with a solid axle, dual cast caps, and the newer one an ultracast, or  both  both solid axle, or???  Changing bushings to bearings could mean changing them in the spool, or in the side plates. All spools have flat sides.

bruno36

My 69" 6000 has a binding/grinding while tension is on the spool with the drag set. At first thought the issue was a bent spool shift since I upgraded the bushings to bearings. I bought a new spool and sanded the end of the shift to fit bearing and still having the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's from me sanding the shaft so my question is can I change the spool for a 6000c spool and bearings? Also any other ideas for the grinding.

Ken_D

Oh OK Gotcha. you have a solid axle spool of 6000 persuasion, with the off sized bushings. You want to place a fresh solid axle 6000C spool in the reel, that is ready for bearings.  Did you place the spools side by side, sidewall to sidewall, and note how the axle stubs line up. Sight unseen cannot really tell...Abu went through about 4 design changes back then.

You can possibly make the C spool fit though the pinion, only if the axle stubs line up the same on both ends, when the sidewalls of both spools are lined up, for the measurement. Many times the C spool is only machined enough at the end to make a bearing fit. And many times the axle stubs are totally uneven when the spools proper are together.

Also with a reel that old, did you check the frame for racking and wobbling? On the bare frame, very gently twist the frame as though you were wringing out a towel. The frame must not wiggle and wobble at all, at the connection points. It must remain rigid.  Here's the rub: Should your frame be racked, you can buy a new nice red frame* for about 20.00. That famous Canadian reel place wants several more dollars above the 20 to repair.....I repair here for 5.00 above the cost of a service.

A loose frame will cause the spool to gall against the frame rim, usually on the crank side, sometimes the other.

*only for a little while while their stock in Iowa lasts.

bruno36

I don't have a 6000c spool. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it or even has a idea if it will work? I guess I'll hook less jerry, or I'll bring it by his house for inspection.

Ken_D

Let us know the results of the consult. Somebody else out there will no doubt have the same thing going on.   I've done it once, and lucked out, as the axle stubs on the C spool were the same configuration as the plain reel. All I had to do was mill away a little more axle diameter on the crank side, so enough shaft would work.
On another try, no good as the stubs were of unequal length on the spools.