Accurate 665

Started by Tass, June 03, 2014, 07:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tass

Went fishing in Panama and took my 665 E Series with me.  While fighting a fish the reel was pulled from the reel foot.  I inspected the reel and reel foot when I got back and couldn't believe how small the screws were holding them together.

My question, is this some kind of design flaw and how could this be fixed. 
Is this something I should contact Accurate about?
Photo attached.

Dominick

That looks like someone ran out of the proper length screws.  Did it strip some of the threads?  I would send it back to Accurate.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

That looks like an 1/8" too short, but it's hard to tell.  If you re-attach the reel foot, you need to look under your spool to see how much the screws protrude.  If it protudes too much, it will get caught in the line and nick it or snap it.  That is the reason why the screws are short.

If the screw holes have stripped, the only course of action is to re-thread with one or two sizes larger and use the appropriate size screws.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

You may also want to consider using helicoil inserts (you can google it and buy an appropriate kit, though they are not cheap), or simply use a semipermanent binding agent (like that produced by Loctite) on the screws if there are still some threads remaining in the frame.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.