GEAR SLEEVE POST LUBRICATION

Started by LTM, June 18, 2015, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Ive seen the gear sleeve post/spindle on the bridge plate oiled by many. I use grease instead to provide better protection and last longer. Being that the gear sleeve doesnt affect freespool, why would one use oil in this vital area instead of grease?

Leo

RowdyW

It does affect casting that's why oil works better.

LTM

OK, thanx. Will use oil going forward

Bryan Young

Quote from: RowdyW on June 18, 2015, 08:08:25 PM
How does the use of grease between the gear sleeve and the post on the bridge plate affect casting?  I'm trying to imagine it and cannot come see how it would affect casting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

I use grease, only because I'm not casting a 12/0 that far. ;D
I can't cast a conventional. I only use oil on the bearings, but my type of fishing is different than most.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

It doesn't affect casting at all. I use oil just because I like the feel of how it spins with the handle

Bryan Young

I use a thinned out grease...thinned with corrosionX
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on June 18, 2015, 08:08:25 PM

Re-think this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Me too...

I grease the spindle, oil the inside of the gear sleeve them slide it on.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tunacious

I use Cal's or Shimano grease for the fixed sleeve post. I clean the inside of the bridge/gear sleeve with q-tips. I then place the sleeve onto the post. The grease on the post will keep the sleeve interior free from corrosion. The post and sleeve don't affect casting.