6-7-14 Sharking at Chicken Bone Beach, Pensacola, FL

Started by Chris Gatorfan, June 10, 2014, 11:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Gatorfan

Sorry it took so long to get the pics up and the report but I was waiting on the pics to get uploaded.

So here is how it all went down.

We started the evening out by meeting up at Margarittaville, but quickly changed up spots as we tried 3 drops and all were swept back to the beach within 3-5 minutes due to heavy Sargasm Grass and high rip currents. So we loaded up and headed to Chicken Bone Beach. By 7:30 all the baits were out and the waiting game began. Around 11 or so the group down the beach from us landed a nice little 4ft Lemon Shark and that was all we saw. We couldnt even get the bait fish to take a bait. Finally 2:30am came around and we all decided to pack it up and head to the house, as we were running low on bait thanks to the crabs.

Well I picked up my 12/0 and started cranking in the line on about a 600-700 yard drop and at about half spool my upgraded Tom/Dom 9/0 starts screaming to the high heavens as the Double Dogs echoed through the aluminum frame. Gosh what a beautiful sound. I slammed the 12 back in its holder and went for the 9 which had now lost almost the entire spool of line. I tighened down the drag and it was fish on.

I fought the shark for roughly 30 minutes and then passed it off to my friend Brad and it was a straight beast against reel battle of tug a war. I would gain then vice versa as the line would once again rip off the spool. Brad fought the same with it for about 30 more minutes then he passed back off to me. By this time I had cranked the drag to max and drag was still coming off the reel. I fought it another 30 minutes and the passed back to brad and decided to put on the gloves and start hand lineing as he cranked.Then we come to a complete stand still. No line coming in and no line going out.I would have sworn by now we had at least a 10+ footer on the other end of the line. Was this going to be my first Tiger or Hammer. Well I started pulling the line as hard as I could and next thing we know I got the inside of my arm welped up as the line poped and lashed against me....Heart Break Hotel.

Well about that time Brads Okuma CV55 Convector starts going off.. He jumps on it and it is once again Fish on. We fought it for around 30 minutes or so and then dead still, same as with the 9/0, and then his line pops. Well being that we are both wore slap out his dad starts reeling in his 10/0 that I had the honor of fixing from last weeks battle and next thing we know he says Guys I think we have another shark on. So I take the reigns this time and once we get about 50-75 yards left to reel in I tell them grab the tail rope we are not losing another Shark tonight and we head off into the water with Headlamps a blazing.We finally work our way within 5 yards of it and what do we see, The entire motor hood section of a shop Vac. As I am lifting it out of the waterMine and Brads Girlfriends say guys there is something in the water with you we said Yeah it is a shop Vac and the they scream NOOOOOOOO ITS A SHARKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!. We look back and within a foot of me is a massive Bull Shark. The 3 of us high tail it back to the beach and then realize this is the fish we have on the hook. so we grab the leader and pull it to shore. As I jump on top of him for control I then realize My leader from the 9/0 is still hook up but there are no other leaders. But whats this there is the second leader with us the shark, the shop Vac, and also the line from the 10/0.

Apparently the shark got tangled on it while I was fightit it and the barnacles cut us off and then he ened up dragging across the other 2 lines in the water. Needless to say what started off a slow night turned into a very exciting and intense last 2 1/2 hours. And Now I have officially booked my first Bull Shark a 6 footer exactly.

Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Now that is a Story! You are Lucky that Bull didn't bite you, or get you tangled in those lines with that shop vac. I think you need some 130 lb test on the 12/0 and that fight would have been cut down to a couple minutes!
Good Job bringing him to the beach the hard way! :D
Hopefully in September I can Hook into one that will really test My Gear and me! ;)
Life is Good!

Chris Gatorfan

I hope so man. We are heading out Friday and Saturday to Johnsons Beach which is like a mile and a half from Orange Beach. There is a massive school of Makos holding up over there for the past 3 days....
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Nothing like a good fish story...  Bull almost horns Gator  :o
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Chris Gatorfan

Yes it was a close call. Thank goodness we had the ladies watching the water for us, Or there may not have been a story from me.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

floating doc

Central Florida

Chris Gatorfan

Yes Both the Shark and Shop Vac were successfully landed and released. However, the Shop Vac did not survive. And all but one Leader survived.
Wilson's Reel Upgrades.

Shark Hunter

Well, that was an expensive Bull. :o
Leaders ain't cheap. I donated the one I caught my Bull on to Doc. ;D
Life is Good!

erikpowell

Great story man! ...saved ####, landed shark, and you got your gear back!  :o  Schweet