Another 12/0

Started by Shark Hunter, June 13, 2014, 04:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

This is a Testament of Sal's Simple Green method of cleaning reels. I have been wanting to try it for quite some time, but I lack the patience and time to let the parts soak for a couple days. I put all the chrome parts in a Bucket of Simple Green Tuesday Night. It was a 50/50 Mix of the concentrated type. All I used to scrub the corrosion off was an old toothbrush and a little thumbnail scraping. I took them out Friday night and these parts don't look like they came from that old Crusty Green 12/0! ;)

The spool looks brand new again! The main gear was completely covered in rust, even in the teeth. I put the Bridge, Jack, Main and pinion gear in a smaller butter container. It ate all the rust off! The shiny gear is what one looks like that is taken care of, just for comparison. The Bridge and Jack will need a little more attention, but I am impressed with the look of the chrome parts. I couldn't salvage the posts, they were all bent up. I will use a set of stainless ones I have to replace them. The rings are reusable to my surprise, but one is cracked all the way through. I can't have that. I am going to try and braze it back together with a torch and a coat hanger.
I took inventory of my Carbon fiber sheets and still have plenty of .120. I contacted Eric to see if the .140 sheet might have came back into stock. No such luck. I still am sitting on a sheet, just for Hex drags. Just so you guys know. Scotts sells a 12/0 drag washer for $3.20 each. A sheet of 4 x 8 inch .120 sheet from Erik is $18. You can make $57 dollars of 12/0 drag washers out of this! ;D
Sorry to be so long winded, but I am excited I brought this old Dinosaur back to life! ;)
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 21, 2014, 07:23:30 AM
Sorry to be so long winded, but I am excited I brought this old Dinosaur back to life! ;)

Not long-winded at all, Mr. Shark. And I absolutely agree, resurrecting old reels is enormously satisfying... to say nothing of catching fish with 'em! Actually, in general I'd rather fish with a venerable old classic than a new ultra-tech megabucks super-reel... (I'm of an age where I identify with relics.)   ;D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Same here ;). A while back me and Dom( Broadway) where discussing using vintage reels only on a trip, if that ever happens, you guy are invited. Aiala, I'm saying you guys because you're one of the guys to me and I mean that in a  good way ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal, The nice part of the "vintage trip" would be that Daron has enough reels for everyone so we can pack light ;D
Daron, really nice job on that fossil. The only reason I don't use simple green is that there is something in the ingredients that chokes me up...  I cough uncontrollably and don't know what does it, but whatever it is just don't agree with me. It's a very useful cleaner/ degreaser but I've gotta stick to the white vinegar (works great to!) for now.
Hope that trip happens some day,
Dom

erikpowell

Wow, I need to go back to the Simple Green method...it just got so expensive here..it's around $50 bucks a gallon...when you can find it  :'(
Nice work Daron.
Where'd you get the stainless steel posts?
I'd like some for my 9/0 top posts.

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 21, 2014, 04:26:55 PM
A while back me and Dom (Broadway) where discussing using vintage reels only on a trip, if that ever happens, you guys are invited. Aiala, I'm saying you guys because you're one of the guys to me and I mean that in a  good way ;)

Sal, thank you, I'm truly honored. And y'know, I think that such a trip would be simply mah-valous! We could call it the "Classics Classic" Charter. Nothing newer than USA-made Senators, original TLDs, older Internationals, etc. It'd be like the 60s-70s-80s all over again.  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

ChileRelleno

:o  Wow!  That works pretty darned good doesn't it.
That thing looked mighty rough when you picked it up.
Great job, look forward to seeing it all back together.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

I have her ready to put back together tonight. Drags cut, Jack, Sleeve and Bridge polished up. I just need to cut the Plate for the second dog. I need to finish this one, because I have two more on the way! ;)
Dom, that's too bad you can't use the green. It does have a weird odor.
Erik, I got the ss posts from ebay. The same guy sells handles at a great price. I'll send you a link.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

This one fought me tooth and nail. After a poor choice of 2nd dog spring placement, and unrelentless reassembling. I won the battle! ;D  I learned a few new things on this build. I couldn't get the spool to sit center. It kept rubbing the non handle side. After reshimming the spool and swapping a few end plates, The culprit was the handle side plate. it had swollen and was pushing the spool to the other side. This reel came from Louisiana and must have been exposed to the humidity and elements for some time.
I think I'll call her Sandy!

The two more I've been waiting for arrived today. The red handle has a prong bent on the star, but everything else looks great! ;D  Everything is there. They are not mint condition, but not far from it. ;)
Life is Good!