left sideplate

Started by publius, July 28, 2010, 06:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

publius

Alan, just curious why you seem to be against removing the left sideplate on most reels? Seems like you remove one sideplate screw at a time, grease the hole and put it back in.

Bryan Young

I'm not absolutely sure why Alan does it, but when he was teaching me, I followed suit and it seemed that I didn't miss a part when putting it back together.  It's easier for me to keep track of a few parts and get it back together instead of all of the in a reel.  It also help me remember which screw goes where as some are longer and some are shorter.  I think that is why when some guys takes a part their reels, it ends up at Alan's door in zip-lock bags of parts.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Like Bryan says, long screws, short screws, potential for left over or lost parts are all good reasons not to do the unnecessary. Besides, when the spool comes out everything on the inside of the left sideplate is accessible. Unless you need to grease backside of the inside rings (like on a Penn Senator) or repair a clicker, there's no need to strip it every time. IMHO
  :) ;D :)

Tight Lines . . . .

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

oh, it's not a big deal.  remember that some guys are tearing down their first reel ever.  they have a big towel with reel parts scattered and a computer right next to it.  i'm just trying to keep things simple.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Alan+ The A-Team,

You can probably understand that after your 34th (actual number) senator in 4 months, you just dump it all out, clean all parts/drags, grease (don't use oil for wirelining any where on my reels),  put back together and Voila!  By the way, I only dare to do this with the senator series... done a ton since I learned from you guys.  Thanks
Dom