Shimano Calcutta 400A spool binding issues?

Started by q3fishboy, June 15, 2014, 01:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Had a reel break down on me and don't seem to be able to fix it so looking for some help.  As the tittle says, it is a Shimano Calcutta 400A that I have been quite hard on.  The reel was working fine until I was trying to pop a snag free and the anti-reverse roller clutch bearing completely failed.  So, I took it home, opened it up, cleaned out the anti-reverse roller clutch bearing, and added a tiny drop of oil.  Tested it by "setting the hook" with the line tied off to my door and everything seemed to be working fine.

Went fishing the next day and after a while, the anti-reverse roller clutch bearing started acting up again.  However, I then noticed that when the reel was under load (I hooked a fish) that the reel was extremely difficult to turn. After getting home, it appears like there are marks on the right handle side of the spool from it rubbing against the frame.  However, when not under load the reel seems fine.

I would really appreciate any help on how I might be able to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.