Greased drag on brand new MXJ and now max is 5lbs...

Started by ErnieK, June 19, 2014, 08:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErnieK

??? I wiped all of the grease off the surface of the drag washer when following the rebuild instructions re: the SX.  Obviously the friction is way off, I only get 5lbs of drag before loss of free spool.  How can I get more of the grease off to try and get my friction back?  As indicated in the title, this is a brand new MXJ.  FWIW, I've done the same to an HX and same problem, hope I didn't screw 'em up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated - Ernie

just added a pic of the washer wiped off, how can I get it cleaner??  And to add to it, now there's resistance while winding... Great, so now I need a right side bearing  >:(

ErnieK

I've been looking everywhere, and nothing seems to be wrong except drag force.  I've double checked spring gauge, Belleville's are ()(), freespool spins fine, right side bearing OK, no rough bearings at 5lbs drag (maximum).  At any settings higher than 5lbs drag, I lose freespool.  Totally stumped and frustrated.  I guess I can start experimenting with going (())| for the bellville stack, but I shouldn't need to go there for a measly 5lbs (that's being generous, it's more like 4.5lbs).  I don't get it....

handi2

I have greased the drags on all my Avets and any other non greased drag with no loss of drag.

There must be something else out of whack. Double check the assembly of the clutch lever and it's parts. The freespool lever.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Sometimes this type of issue in lever drag reels can be attributed to reduced space overall from stock specs.  You may need to ensure the bearings are all properly seated, the lever drag mech is assembled properly, the drag mech is properly assembled, and the cam assembly is ok.  Slightly thinner Bellevilles, or shimming may be required.  The narrow freespool range is indicative of too little space somewhere from the cam all the way through to the left plate bearing.  troubleshoot by examining all of the sub assemblies to make sure they are functioning properly, modifying Belleville config for less space may be an easy way to troubleshoot for you.

Not sure if that helps?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sundaytrucka

It is not the grease, not just saying that for the sake of being a greased drag advocate, done the same to my mxj and have normal drag function.

I cannot help too much without having the reel in front of me, but I would say check the cam and make sure it is seated properly. Good luck if you are still having an issue.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

SoCalAngler

The stock config. of the belleville washers should be (()) and not ()(). Give that a shot and see how that works.

EDIT: Same for the HX, when you get to a JX's and LX's single or two speed the belleville's are ))(())

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ErnieK

Thanks everyone for the input, I've taken the MXJ apart and back together so many times, checking and double checking, I feel like it goes together well.  What types of things should I check for with the cam?  To get from loose on drag nut to losing freespool is probably 13-15 clicks, so it's not running low on clearance.  I didn't remove the bellevilles from the spool axle, but I'll check to see what a different configuration does.  I'll report back in the morning.  Thanks again - Ernie

ErnieK

I've just disassembled and reassembled the reel, its done right.  Spool axle, pin, BV's, bearing spacer, axle spacer, bearing, washer, spring, washer, bearing, drag plate, ratchet, and finally pinion gear (from clicker to handle).  It takes approximately 6 turns on the drag screw to go from just threading to loss of freespool, so plenty of space for the springs to compress.  The belleville washer stack in the stock config ()() is .1145" thick, according to multiple posts on this site this is correct, not the schematic indicated (()).  If I go to the (()) the stack is only .0975" thick, so I would need a .017" thick washer to keep it the same thickness. 

After all this, drag is still stuck down at 4.5lbs, what gives? ???  ???

I never verified that when I bought the reel that it could actually make 9lbs at strike, I wonder if there is something else wrong...

Bryan Young

It's quite possible that the pressure plate is not properly seated on the pinion gear.

During reassembly, I install the pinion gear then the pressure plate on the pinion gear, then install the spool assembly.  I have found that when the pressure plate is not properly seated in the pinion gear. 

Another culprit could be that the pinion gear is installed in reverse.

Hope this helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ErnieK

Here is a pic of the gear as it came apart..  Seems right to me ???

Thanks for helping out, I really hope to get to the bottom of this.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Hi Ernie,

Have you tried installing the pressure plate on the pinion gear before installing the spool?

Last thing that I can think of is, and I don't want to sound like I'm insulting you, but are you dropping the drag lever into free spool?  A friend of mine had issues with the lever and cam mechanism that was a bit tough and it was extremely difficult to get the lever into and out of free spool.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ErnieK

Alright, to answer some questions

1) I used Shimano Star Drag Grease
2) yep, Bryan I assembled the drag plate onto the right side first and then slid the spool axle through.  I know exactly what you're talking about regarding getting the pinion not seated correctly.
3) yep, lever drag in free spool when assembling.

I made a change to the belleville washer stack like posted above.  I was initially hesitant, as Alan had indicated that it wasn't necessary and there are other complications with changing the stack.  Anyway, I tried them in parallel (()) instead of the stock series ()().  With the higher spring rate of the stack, I noticed the increase in drag setting immediately.  The lever is not very linear in its drag (jumps from 0 drag in Live to pretty high right away), but I can now easily reach 9lbs with plenty of free spool.  I do notice the difference in stack thickness as it takes more turns on the drag knob to close the gap.  The handle is harder to turn, but honestly, I don't have any experience with AVET's so this might be completely off base.  I hope it is not a bearing problem in the making.  I won't be fishing more than 30lb, so 9lbs is my max, probably leaning towards 8lbs.

I wonder why the spring rate on the series stack ()() is so low? Especially since the reel is new never used.. Oh well, major step forward as far as I'm concerned. 

Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.  More than a couple time I was considering taking them back and sticking with my trusty Bryan 5 washer drag system for all my Newell's.  Talk about a great upgrade...

Tightlines667

I'm glad you got it sorted out.  If you want a more linear drag curve while maintaining the desired max before losing freespool there may be another option as well.   Although I havn't worked on many Avets, I think you can modify the cam itself (as detailed in some of Alan's other tutorials, or a different, less 'aggressive' replacement cam may be available from Avet.  Another option to consider might be checking with Avet to see if they have alternative thinner Belleville washers available (maybe from a different reel model?) that would work so you can go with the more linear ()() arrangement and still maintain the desired spacing.  Just a few thoughts.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.