Gears

Started by Bub B., July 29, 2010, 06:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub B.

Hello all.  New to the site.  Lots of good info here.  I have been lurking for some time now and would like to know what you guys put on the gears for lube?  Corrosin x, yama lube, drag grease, and how much?

Bryan Young

I've used yama lube or evinrude triple guard + corrosion X (because evinrude triple is very tacky and thick).  Some reels come with Cal's grease (like my ProGear reels) on the gears as well.  I have yet to use just corrosion X, but just got corrosion X HD and will see how the viscosity differs.

Also used to use Penn oils back in the day.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bub B.

How much should you apply?  I have been using a flux brush to apply the grease.  I usually just coat everything so it is blue but not to thick.  I have noticed when I open the reels there really isn't that much lube on anything. 

alantani

I have a selection of old toothbrushes with a blend of old greases.  It's nothing fancier than just that.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hey Bub B, not much grease at all.  Lightly coat.

I used to pack grease tight in the reels (before I knew any better).  Discovered that whatever wasn't in between the gear teeth was just a waste and also made it harder to crank.  Scraped that idea.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Wolli

Hello Bryan,

recommend not to apply CorrosionX HD directly out of the spray bottle. It takes approximately two hours the propellant has fully evaporated and the grease reached its final consistence like soft honey. Spray some in a cup and wait until the propellant has evaporated.

Rgds, Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Bryan Young

Thanks for the advice Wolli,

I am planning to spray it into a bottle with a needle tip for later use.  But if it turns into a consitency of honey, I have to get a bottle with a larger tip.  How do you like it?  I have only used normal corrosion x, but not the HD stuff.

Bryan

Bryan Young

Well, sprayed both types of CorrosionX in a bottle, man it took forever for both propellant to evaporate.  I think it was because it was a small surface area for the evaporation.  Tipped the bottle over and squirted like a spray bottle.  Interesting...  I'm learning.

Bub B.