carbon fiber drag washer material 1.5mm......

Started by ninrugger, June 23, 2014, 09:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninrugger

Hey guys....this is probably my first post here but have been trolling around for a while reading, reading, and reading some more....the knowledge base here is unreal!  The problem I'm having is this....I recently picked up some old Quantum Iron reels....I'd like to swap out the drag washer for a carbon fiber one and its 1.5mm thick.  I've been searching around for some sheet in that thickness so I can make my own but I haven't had any luck. Are there any ladies or gents who know where I can find some?  I've checked with smoothdrag, some guy on ebay, and an Aussie site, but no luck.  ??? 

Thanks for the help, Matt

alantani

you can double up some drags, just as long as you match up the same height as the original stack.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I bought 1.4mm sheet from ebay, that should be close enough.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ninrugger

Thanks for the responses.   Alan, if I were to double up on the drag washers....would I need to throw a metal washer in between or would it work fine back to back?  Ron, where did you find the drag material?  Could you point me to the seller?  Thanks again!

alantani

back to back is fine.  figure out the total height of the stock drag washer and match up the new drags to that same height.  each new drag does not have same height as the original.  if five original drags total out to 7.5mm, then you can use 7 drag washers that are 1.1mm each and get basically the same height.  just double up the two and you're all set. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

What diameter do you need?  It's possible to take one of Penn's Lever Drag washers can cut them to size if they were smaller sized washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D