Penn Silver Beach No. 99 narrowed and double-dogged

Started by Pennreely, June 24, 2014, 03:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennreely

I took a Penn Silver Beach No. 99 right side plate and twisted it on a Jigmaster 501 frame.  It fitted well except I could not tightened the take-apart thumb screw. The standard screw hole for the Jigmaster plate is about 4-5mm higher.  After some testings, I found the hole is threaded for 5-40 size.  I prepared the screw hole and was able to secure side plate.

What I have is a Silver Beach #99 reel narrowed from 2 and 1/8 inch to 1 and 5/8 inch frame fitted with a Jigmaster spool.  Functionally it is a Penn 501 Jigmaster reel having a Silver Beach reel guts, i.e. a reel with 3.1:1 gear ratio.  The Jigmaster ring setup allows one to conveniently switch between Jigmaster side plate with 4:1 or even 5:1 gear ratio although I am not sure of this utility while on the water.  Brian Young on this forum had narrowed a Long Beach Live Bait Caster 257 reel which also has a 3-99 bridge to a Jigmaster 501 size.

When I opened up this reel, I saw an opportunity to double-dog this baby.  Taking ideas from other forum members, I filed down the side plate and a standard Jigmaster dog.  Double-dogging this way put the dogs in an alternating arrangement.  You can really hear it sing.

The second dog and spring are visible under the bridge plate.

Penn Silver Beach uses the same eccentric jack and yoke as Jigmaster so that the entire power train (together with old Penn steel main gear and pinion) can be assembled with stainless steel components.  One can obtain ss right side dog, eccentric jack and yoke from Pro Challenger Fishing Products. The left side dog can be fabricated using the larger ss Senator 113 dog.  Of course this reel takes a Alan Tani's ss 98-505 gear sleeve and Brian's 5+1 thin washer drag stack. 

I fish the Northern California coast.  Rockfishing requirements are quite minimal.  Perhaps other forum members can recommend how this reel may be useful for fishing in other waters.

I have been reading about ideas and fish stories on this forum for a long time.  This is my first post.  Finally I find something to write about.

Keta

Nice, the Surfmaster 250 fits the 501 frame without modifications and makes a similar reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pennreely on June 24, 2014, 03:40:34 AM
I have been reading about ideas and fish stories on this forum for a long time.  This is my first post.  Finally I find something to write about.
Pennreely, this might be your first post, but you really came in with a bang.  You made yourself a nice little reel. Grat job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

alantani

nicely done!  please send me a pm with your mailing info.  i'd like to send something up to you.  thanks for a great post!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!