Removing the Brake Block Pin in an SL20SH

Started by jaypeegee, June 24, 2014, 09:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaypeegee

Hi

To add an alu plate to the left hand side of an SL20 spool for a mag solution it looks like removing the brake block pin is necessary.
Making me wonder is it replaceable if you wish to reverse this out?
Or once out it will not go back in.

Can anyone confirm?

alantani

not sure about magging or unmagging a reel.  anyone?  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fish-aholic

The pin does need to be removed to install a mag unit. I believe once it has, you are committed.  :-\

jaypeegee

Quote from: Fish-aholic on June 24, 2014, 08:04:14 PM
The pin does need to be removed to install a mag unit. I believe once it has, you are committed.  :-\

I figured.

I made up a plate and dremeled out a long notch to help it past the pins as a test. It is almost circular too  :o
I don't know what proximity tween the mags and Alu plate   is needed for this to be effective but it looks as though I may be able to place one outside the support for the brake block ring and avoid removing the pin
I don't know what the impact to balance will be due to my hand fashioned approach so far but if I get enough positive braking result to warrant redoing this properly it I will.

jaypeegee

Cheers Holic.
Yep. I did happen to see that.
Today.
After I spent most of last night attempting to get a magnet array close to the disc
and failed

Still failing can be fun.

I figured I will back out of this approach for the time being.

Dave Bentley

Hi Jaypeegee,
If your using a fixed magnet get a lump of bluetac and press it onto the end plate, re assemble the reel and gently pull it apart. The top of the bluetac lump will be disc height. Now build up a base under the magnet to 1/2 a millimetre less that the bluetac. Problem solva.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

jaypeegee

Quote from: Dave Bentley on June 27, 2014, 03:24:56 AM
Hi Jaypeegee,
If your using a fixed magnet get a lump of bluetac and press it onto the end plate, re assemble the reel and gently pull it apart. The top of the bluetac lump will be disc height. Now build up a base under the magnet to 1/2 a millimetre less that the bluetac. Problem solva.

Hi Dave

I missed a crucial bit of info out which is I don't wish to remove the pins now I know it is a destructive option.
I cannot roll back if I don't enjoy the sl20sh magged.

I may change my mind in future and if I do then your suggestion is very good and will be used.
I tried to get the mags out side of the black shoulders that the brass ring sits within and inside the cage lip but there is very little room there and I wasn't able to determine if there is enough alu exposed to provide a discernable difference even if successful.

I am going to see what happens if I add a light extension spring to the break blocks to restrict/dampen the braking action
The idea being at initial spool speed the blocks provide friction and as the spool slows the spring retracts and takes them away from the ring