Is it bad to leave your reels in hot car?

Started by FatTuna, June 24, 2014, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I go boat fishing a few times a week in the summer. When I'm done I usually just leave my gear in the car overnight if I plan to fish again in the next day or so. Will this affect the performance or longevity of my reels? Sometimes it gets really hot in there.

Bryan Young

your biggest issue will be the your line will degrade.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

franky

Quote from: fatstriper on June 24, 2014, 05:13:10 PM

When I'm done I usually just leave my gear in the car overnight if I plan to fish again in the next day or so. Will this affect the performance or longevity of my reels? Sometimes it gets really hot in there.

Here in Hawaii, the cars also get very hot.  As long as you wash or rinse it down with fresh water, I don't think the heat itself will affect the performance.  

On the other hand, in terms of longevity of the reels.....I would be very careful with leaving them in the car overnight.  I'm not worried about salt and corrosion, I'm worried about car theives.  It just takes seconds for someone to break in and now you're in the need to go shopping again.  >:( :'(

FatTuna

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 24, 2014, 07:00:09 PM

Would only mono be affected by heat? I use some mono but mainly Powerpro. I'm not too concerned with mono because I replace it often but braid isn't cheap. Will Dacron degrade?

I'm am not too worried with theft, as I have a pretty secure driveway. I have a melted cap on my Baitrunner 4500. It made me think that plastic components could melt or that things could warp.

Bryan Young

Mainly with mono and fluorocarbon.

Depending on how hot it gets, I would be concerned about the life expectancy of the reel.  Any heat will degrade polymeric materials.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

I wouldn't do it. I have to take them in after a days fishing to give them a shower anyway. Most of my rods are rollers, so I have to take extra special care of them. I don't want a roller to lock up when I get a big fish on.
Plus, it would worry me leaving them in the truck. I just don't think its a good idea, and I sleep better. ;)
Life is Good!

FatTuna

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 24, 2014, 08:37:05 PM
Mainly with mono and fluorocarbon.

Depending on how hot it gets, I would be concerned about the life expectancy of the reel.  Any heat will degrade polymeric materials.

It's been about 80F here so it's way hotter in the car. I should probably build a rack in the garage. I have a pinched nerve in my back and I do all of the boat stuff myself (anchors, docking, hauling gear). Taking the rods out of the car is just another hassle. Especially, if I'm just going to load them in again in the morning. Just one more thing to do after a 12 hour day on the water.

I care about my stuff a lot but when I'm in pain you know how it goes. I have been washing them down at the dock before loading them in the vehicle. I wish I had a bigger boat where I could lock everything inside.

kmstorm64

Older rods can be affected by the heat and become brittle.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

day0ne

Quote from: fatstriper on June 24, 2014, 08:22:29 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on June 24, 2014, 07:00:09 PM

Will Dacron degrade?

Dacron, very much so, Spectra, not so much.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Alto Mare

Also, the grease in the reel would get really runny and drip all over
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

broadway

DayOne,
   I figured it'd be the other way around.  I have used 15 year old dacron (not on my reels) for backing on wire line and never had an issue. After sitting in the sun that wire gets pretty hot and is covered in salt.
I've had braid 50 lb. braid (green power pro) break down to where I could pull it and snap it with my hands without cutting a finger off in less than 5 years.
Why would the heat deteriorate dacron and not braid (so much)?
Just asking, Thanks
Dom

FatTuna

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to stop leaving them in there.

I need to start building a rod rack now.

day0ne

Quote from: broadway on June 25, 2014, 02:08:33 AM
DayOne,
   I figured it'd be the other way around.  I have used 15 year old dacron (not on my reels) for backing on wire line and never had an issue. After sitting in the sun that wire gets pretty hot and is covered in salt.
I've had braid 50 lb. braid (green power pro) break down to where I could pull it and snap it with my hands without cutting a finger off in less than 5 years.
Why would the heat deteriorate dacron and not braid (so much)?
Just asking, Thanks
Dom

Actually, sunlight degrades Dacron more than heat. Used as backing, the mono or wire protects it. As for the Power Pro, there are so many stories of it breaking and degrading, especially the pre Shimano stuff, I wouldn't use it as an example. Spectra is considered UV resistant, however, heat can damage it but it takes some pretty good heat. That is why you should never spool it by putting pressure on the line itself. It should be spooled by putting pressure on the spool of line. Around here, cars can easily get over 150 degrees inside in the summer.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

I was at my local area tackle shop the other day wasting time before work.  A guy brought in a shimano CI4 complaining about the line roller.  All the red anodized accent parts on the reel were...pink.  The shop owner called it sun burned and said he never saw a reel so washed out by the sun, even those of guides that sit in the sun in a rack day in day out.  The CI4 material that made the body had turned gray, sort of hazy.  It was 96* yesterday, 94* expected today.  Its gets over 160* inside a vehicle if I recall my emergency training right.  That has to do something to line, grease, oil and non metal parts.