How Smoothe is Real Smoothe

Started by funhog, June 25, 2014, 09:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn

I have some delrin pre cut washers for under the gear.
Penn
4-60
4-155
4-349
4-115
The Daiwa ones:  27H, 50H, 400H, 600/900H
Abu C3's and C4 type reels.
.50 each

Dawn
Dawn

alantani

so here is a question for you.  if delron/delrin works under the main gear, would it work inside?  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on June 26, 2014, 04:20:59 PM
so here is a question for you.  if delron/delrin works under the main gear, would it work inside?  :-\
Is this question directed to me boss? if so, no the Delrin would not work in the gear and you wouldn't want it to.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 26, 2014, 04:32:12 PM
Quote from: alantani on June 26, 2014, 04:20:59 PM
Is this question directed to me boss? if so, no the Delrin would not work in the gear and you wouldn't want it to.

Sal, interesting comment "you wouldn't want it to."  Please explain what you mean by this.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
The Delrin acts as a tough slippery surface for the main gear to ride on. You don't want that inside the gear. The drags inside the gear create friction that helps you stop the fish when you crank the star down.
No friction, No Drag. :P
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Dominick, this is very simple. Delrin is very slippery and would be a very good material to use for under the gear, but it would be worthless to use it as drags in the gear. Think of the main gear and its drag washers as a unit, that unit needs to spin as smooth as possible while still doing its job.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 26, 2014, 04:49:23 PM
Dominick, this is very simple. Delrin is very slippery and would be a very good material to use for under the gear, but it would be worthless to use it as drags in the gear. Think of the main gear and its drag washers as a unit, that unit needs to spin as smooth as possible while still doing its job.

Sorry Daron, we were typing at the same time.

Shark Hunter

I was butting in. I think he should understand now.
Dominick, If you want to try some Delrin, I can send you some. That goes for you too Boss. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 26, 2014, 04:50:22 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 26, 2014, 04:49:23 PM
Sorry Daron, we were typing at the same time.
Sal: While I assumed a slippery surface, I also thought it would turn smoothly.  Wouldn't any material smooth or otherwise act as a brake if tightened enough?  Playing the devil's advocate here.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

funhog

I know what delrin is used for and I think if used as a drag washer you would have to cran
your star drag down so tight to get a reasonable amountor drag , that something is going to break, at a bad time and place, and suck the fun out of perfectly good reel.

Dawn thanks for your input: Look for my email as I have few more items I want to get.
john Alldredge

Bryan Young

I'm not sure why delirn would be better for under the main gear versus Carbontex.  Under the main gear is also a surface in which you have opposing friction surfaces between the main gear and the gear sleeve...it's the same situation that you have with washers in the main gear. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

As I understand it the Delron is made to be slippery and maintains this propert 'under load'.  Also, it has good long term durability and shows little wear after extended use.  It can be a bit susceptible to flow, and distortion, but is a material that is widely used under the cam assembly to maintain lubricity.  It should make an ideal under gear washer material in terms of helping to maintain the smoothness of the drag under heavy load as well as cranking smoothness.  It will not however provide much in the way of friction or any modest increase in drag over what is provided within the drag stack, and might allow the reel handle to fall back more readily until the dog(S) engages.  I think the positives of using it here, especially in larger sized reels, or at higher drag settings, will far outweigh any perceived drawbacks.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bluefish69

We have a few Locals here that are replacing the bearings in the Newell Reels with solid Derlon Bearing.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 26, 2014, 06:59:12 PM
.  I think the positives of using it here, especially in larger sized reels, or at higher drag settings, will far outweigh any perceived drawbacks.
I know it will, but not just on larger reels.

Dominick, if you use only metal washers for drags and tighten down the star with pliers, eventually you will stop the gear. That's not what we're doing here.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dawn on June 26, 2014, 03:41:08 PM
I have some delrin pre cut washers for under the gear.
Penn
4-60
4-155
4-349
4-115
The Daiwa ones:  27H, 50H, 400H, 600/900H
Abu C3's and C4 type reels.
.50 each

Dawn
Dawn, thanks for stepping in, are those the same as the ones I'm showing on the link? I've seen a couple of  plastic washers, some break when you bend them, these Delrin won't budge.
.50 cents each is a very good price, a small price to pay, considering....