Vintage 9/0

Started by broadway, June 28, 2014, 01:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I don't remember ever seeing a knob as the one Dom showed us on the larger Senators above :-\. The one you're showing I've seen before, that one must have been a year after, but I'm not sure. The information that I have only goes back to 1938, these are from that era:

The torpedo knob is also hardwood.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Daron, that guys had that on there for seven days also... I've been watching that one as well. ;)
Sal, the handle that Penn had before the torpedoes is called the "coffee grinder" handle.  It existed on many reels like the model f, model k, and the Seahawks to name a few... And according to some really hardcore Penn collectors on ORCA that was the standard before the torpedoes.  Also, I don't believe that reel was ever opened because the screws had no sign of damage, which back in the day was not a concern for a fisherman. They weren't as careful as we are because it was used to provide food or money not aesthetics to the mantle.  Not only that but the box is worth more than $200 (my guess is closer to $500).  We've all seen the lighthouse box alone go for over $100 on ebay. Not a big deal, just surprised by your price tag.  Promise me if you get one you'll sell it to me for $200 ;)
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, I know about the coffee grind knob, but never seen it on the larger senators, except the one with the oil port as shown on the second reel. the screw heads didn't look that clean to me , but could be wrong. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
   My guess is that Penn probably used what they had until it ran out... like everything else they have done in the past from boxes, to handles and side plates.
As for the screw heads ... they look good to me. The handle looks to be the right size to go on that reel, but I could be wrong.  I don't think the guy put a sea hawk handle on a 9/0 back in 1938 but could be wrong there too.  Looks all original to me.  I hope I have the opportunity to bid again next time so I can tell you from first hand knowledge instead of speculation. ;)
Thanks
Dom

Newell Nut

You were had by shill bidding at a pawn shop. When you see bidders that do 50% of there business with that bidder then it is usually employees running up the bid. Have seen it many times and it is against ebay rules. That reel may get listed again. The winning bid I believe does 16% of his business with that seller. Some pawn shops are really crooked.

broadway

NN,
      Thanks for that explanation.  I've seen some shady stuff on there but never realized they play 3 card monte (old NY style with fake customers)... I'll stick to paying the price i wanna pay instead of letting them bid me up. 
Sal,
      I just saw your posting about it being the missing link to a collectors' collection... that would make more sense than the museum because I just realized whenever you hear museum in a title that means donations. ;)
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on June 28, 2014, 11:18:56 PM
Sal,
   My guess is that Penn probably used what they had until it ran out... like everything else they have done in the past from boxes, to handles and side plates.
As for the screw heads ... they look good to me. The handle looks to be the right size to go on that reel, but I could be wrong.  I don't think the guy put a sea hawk handle on a 9/0 back in 1938 but could be wrong there too.  Looks all original to me.  I hope I have the opportunity to bid again next time so I can tell you from first hand knowledge instead of speculation. ;)
Thanks
Dom
Dom, take a closer look at the screw heads, using the zoom feature, you will clearly see that the slots are not perfect. That reel has been opened.
As for the knob, not a big deal to replace a knob on a handle if you know what to do.

About what Dwight mentioned, yes it does happen and I know of some that did it.
You could usually spot them on a 16/0 that starts at a few dollars. If that reel doesn't go past $400 and it's your bid, you can rest assured that someone will outbid you at the last minute. Its a lousy game but unfortunately some still play it. Ebay is not perfect on many things :-\

Robert Janssen

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 29, 2014, 01:29:35 AM

, you can rest assured that someone will outbid you at the last minute. Its a lousy game but unfortunately some still play it. Ebay is not perfect on many things :-\

That is kinda one thing that they could improve on by using a so-called rolling end of auction. That is, the auction keeps going until there are no more bids for two minutes or so. One of the other auction sites does that; it works very well. Keeps bidding fairer at the end.

broadway

Sal, Tweaked screws or not... we can all change screws so that's not a great test, but the rest of the reel is consistent with what I've seen of a Penn 4/0 (on ORCA) including the "coffee grinder" knob.  I wish the people bidding agreed with you and quit bidding at $200. :-\
Here's a link to a drawing of a 1936 Senator...http://stripers247.com/historyofpennreels.htm
Dom

Alto Mare

Yes, you are right buddy, but this wasn't  about the screws. Not that it mattered to me, but usually the screws tell the story if a reel was opened or not.
If I see one of the same listed, I will make sure give it a shot, so me and you could negotiate big red ;).

On another note, I believe I owe you some $, please let me know how much.

broadway

LOL... you know you got first dibs on her ;)
PM'd
Dom

Newell Nut

To see if something is being shill bid all you have to do is click on the number bids showing. A list of all bidders will come up. Then click on individual bidders and you can then see the percentage of business this bidder does with this seller.

I have seen them doing 100% with that seller. How do you know it is a pawn shop doing this. Look at the sellers number of transactions. If it is a couple thousand then it is a big business like a pawn shop. After looking at the bidder percentages you can put two and two together.

Alto Mare

Dwight, thanks for pointing that out and it makes perfect sense to me.
If you look back at the bidding history, looks like (99) gave it a push towards the end.
50% of activities with that seller is a lot.

floating doc

Dwight, I was wondering how you found that information. I've been pretty active on ebay for several years, but didn't know how to find out when there was a shill bidder.

I'm not sure that the pawn shops even know about this, otherwise they would be opening new accounts more frequently.
Central Florida