Cobia and Mangos Yesterday

Started by Newell Nut, June 29, 2014, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

We had a rough week with strong tides and only a few fish caught but Saturday I whacked them pretty good on the Pastime Princess out of New Smyrna Beach, FL. Got a couple mangos and then a really nice cobia and then 3 more mangos. Nice when you have to have two stringers just so the mate can lift your fish. ;D

Alto Mare

Cool stuff Dwight. If you didn't seal that box yet, vacuum seal a cobia steak and throw it in the box, I want to try it out ;D . Nice fish! ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Good trip! I'm off work for two weeks, and am going to take my ten year old out for a half day intro this week. I don't plan to do much fishing myself; it's mainly to get him out.
Central Florida

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 29, 2014, 03:28:57 PM
Cool stuff Dwight. If you didn't seal that box yet, vacuum seal a cobia steak and throw it in the box, I want to try it out ;D . Nice fish! ;)
Will seal them up today. When are you coming down? Cobia is a nice light meat. I pan seared some last night that sure was nice with a little blackened seasoning.

Newell Nut

Quote from: floating doc on June 29, 2014, 04:29:56 PM
Good trip! I'm off work for two weeks, and am going to take my ten year old out for a half day intro this week. I don't plan to do much fishing myself; it's mainly to get him out.
Are you going on the Sea Spirit? They have a nice captain and crew but the boat seems tiny since I have been fishing the Pastime for so long.

Bryan Young

Awesome fishing days you got there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

We finally have 8 days in July to catch the big red snappers and actually keep one a day.

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 29, 2014, 06:37:36 PM
Quote from: floating doc on June 29, 2014, 04:29:56 PM
Are you going on the Sea Spirit? They have a nice captain and crew but the boat seems tiny since I have been fishing the Pastime for so long.

I'll go on the Sea Spirit since I'm booked for two 12 hour days during the red snapper season. I want to get a look at the boat and meet the crew. A small boat should be okay for a half day trip. I'll probably take a spot near the bow, so my son (hopefully) won't be as likely to tangle other lines.
Central Florida

Newell Nut

Don't take a very large cooler. Keep it small and if you take your own rods keep it to no more than two. For your son the boat rods will be just fine. The local boys get there real early for the stern spots so the bow is a good choice.

floating doc

I just checked the weather; likely tropical storm developing in the next day or two.  :-\

This trip is definitely on stand-by. All plans are on hold for the outdoors activities.  We were supposed to go to Kelly Park/Rock Springs tomorrow for some snorkeling, and the Space Center later in the week. It all hinges on the weather now.

In reference to some of your advice (which is most welcome, BTW), I bought a small cooler, just big enough for a couple of lunches. I'll bring our own rods since we have them, but just one each for this trip. I often prefer to fish from the bow, and I wouldn't try to grab a choice spot my first time on the boat.
Central Florida

Newell Nut

Have something ready for flatlining. All the mangos were caught with just a 1/4 oz bullet weight in the sardines mouth. The cobia is the only one hooked on the bottom.

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 30, 2014, 09:07:22 AM
Have something ready for flatlining. All the mangos were caught with just a 1/4 oz bullet weight in the sardines mouth. The cobia is the only one hooked on the bottom.

I wouldn't have expected that. Were they chumming?
Central Florida

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

Hey Dwight nice catch.we went out Wednesday the current was blazing we got red snapper,mango,and vermilons.What line and hook do u use on the mangos?

Newell Nut

My main line is momoi diamond 60 and leader is Yo Zuri Pink 40 fluorocarbon. It the water is not real clear I will use 60 on the bottom and 40 flat lining. Very clear and I will use 40 on the bottom.
Hooks are 5/0 Eagle Claw Alaskan Teflon coated that are not made any more but can be found. They are very strong.

The Saturday current was nice compared to Wed.