Can you replace the 600h gear sleeve with a stanless 114h gear sleeve?

Started by Tom McKinney, June 30, 2014, 12:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

I don't have both reels, just the 600h.  I know that the shape and size of the OD of the gear sleeves is close as some use the penn metal washers for a drag stack.  If I could switch it, it would be an upgrade and allow the use of the more available 114h drag stack.

alantani

unfortunately, no.  been thinking of making a daiwa glear sleeve, but i think the alloy they use is much harder than the soft brass used by penn.  i'm guessing that's why i've seen so few failures.  if your 600h gear sleeve is rounded off, hopefully you can order a new one from daiwa, then upgrade the drags to greased carbon fiber and not have this problem again! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tom McKinney

Thanks Alan.  Just wondering if one could tank it up. No problem on mine.  Just need the new drags

floating doc

Quote from: alantani on June 30, 2014, 01:10:35 AM
unfortunately, no.  been thinking of making a daiwa glear sleeve, but i think the alloy they use is much harder than the soft brass used by penn.  i'm guessing that's why i've seen so few failures.  if your 600h gear sleeve is rounded off, hopefully you can order a new one from daiwa, then upgrade the drags to greased carbon fiber and not have this problem again! 

I rounded mine off in one trip yesterday with greased CF drag. I wonder if it was already worn. I would buy a stainless sleeve if they go into production.
Central Florida

codisking

I'm sure that it is a somewhat involved process, but I've often wondered what it would actually take to get set up and just turn out gear sleeves. Is there a small bench-top lathe with repeatable accuracy that can be set up at home? With my lack of a garage, I am limited to what I can churn out in my "office" (a dark and lonely back room at my house where my wife doesn't dare to enter for fear of encountering some form of arachnid).

Eh, just a thought.

Shark Hunter

I'm not sure about the Daiwa Sleeve, but Penn's use a Buttress thread tap. They are expensive and I leave that to the professionals that have access to CNC Equipment.
Life is Good!

TomT

I might be in fear of encountering an "arachnid"!!  ;) ;D  I'm sure Dominic will know what one is??
TomT

Dominick

I have to save them around my house or I'm in trouble.  I'm known around here as arachnidman.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

I rounded the sleeve on my 600H, even with a greased CF drag. Next time I get out, I'll be fishing with a "tank" 114H, but I would sure like a stainless sleeve for the Sealine.
Central Florida

LTM

Quote from: floating doc on May 10, 2015, 05:32:52 PM
I rounded the sleeve on my 600H, even with a greased CF drag. Next time I get out, I'll be fishing with a "tank" 114H, but I would sure like a stainless sleeve for the Sealine.

X10 ;)

Leo