Wahoo special width

Started by Ron Jones, June 30, 2014, 10:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

After the SOA trip I have really changed my thinking on reels. What I would like for surface iron is a 501 width 113H with 4:1 gears and an aluminum spool but I don't think I can get there from here. The 49 is close with 3.5:1 but I'm not certain even a Newelled 49 is gonna fish 40# for yellowtail. A high speed 349 is also close but aluminum spools are made of unobtanium. What about a Newell Wahoo Special? I'm hoping that someone can tell me that the Wahoo Special is thinner than the YTS that I'm using now. I love the retrieve rate of my YTS with Alan's 4:1 gears but with braid I don't need anywhere neer that much capacity.

A 5:1 112H with a T3NK kit might be the same but I'm not sure if the faster gears would make up for the smaller spool diameter?

Basically I'm trying to use the reels I like and not have to crank my arm off.

Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Keep looking for the 349 spool, they are hard to find but easier than the standard width aluminum frame I'm looking for.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

The OD of a Newelled Penn 349 Wahoo Special is approximately 3 1/4", the same as a narrow Penn 114H.  I think I have a couple of sets of parts if interested.  Maybe a couple of reels too.  Lee got my last standard width Newell 349 spool.

Lee, I don't think Tiburon ever made a standard width frame for a 349.  They did make the "wahoo special" width frame.

John

Ron Jones

I thought they were the same size as the 4/0. So a high speed 349 would be faster than a YTS. I actually just found a Newell spool for the narrow reel but it aint cheep. I think I will slowly but surely start putting this reel together. Of course, the big spool probably has the same capacity of my YTS, it's just a lot of 40# braid to put on that spool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Quote from: john2244 on June 30, 2014, 11:36:11 PM
 Lee got my last standard width Newell 349 spool.

And I owe you a lot for it, thank you.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

So,
Based on this thread: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9328.0. I'm thinking that the two reels will be the same as far as retrieval, I'm also thinking that a 5:1 T3NK will be really close, so that will probably end up being my 40# reel. I'll run the YTS with 80 ending in a loop so I can put on a 50-80# leader. My 180 will be my 30# and my little Millionaire CX-V will be my bait rig, it worked wonders on the trip.

I was hoping I could do it all Newell, but it looks like I'll invest in one Tiburon frame.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Keta

The 49 and 349 have the same spool OD, the 49 is faster (3.5:1) than the 349H (3.25:1).  The 49 uses the same size bridge shaft as a jigmaster, the 349 the same as a 113H.  The 49 will be weaker than the 349 but I think it would work ok for YT.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Now that is interesting. I might have to look into a Newelled 49. Still a lot of capacity, maybe I'm just being picky.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

Ron Jones

So, I measure a 5.0:1 geared T3NK will be 31.5 (I measure 2.5" overall diameter and left .25" from the lip.) So the 49 at 30 inches, again with 1/4" left over is really close. I'm thinking this is where I'll go in order to stay all Newell.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

doradoben

Maybe I'm missing something Ron, but in your 1st. post you said that you want to use the reel for surface irons. Salas 7x or Tady 45 are light weight lures of about 3 oz. They don't need to be retrieved at warp speed and are much harder to toss long distances with a large reel. I think a large diameter, high speed reel is best suited for yoyo style jigs fished in deep water. Carl Newell's Wahoo Special was wider than a standard 349 (and was probably built before spectra line) to increase capacity. 

The way you get to a 113H size reel that is 501 width is a Newell 533 with a Tib narrow spool and frame. 4/0 size, 1 5/8" spool width, 4.6 or 5.5 stainless gears  and double dogs. Add Bryan's drag washer kit and fish will fear you. ;)

Keta

I wish that Tiburon made a 501/349 width kit for the 113H and 114H, especially the 114H.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

I'll start looking for a 533.

If you saw my reels you would understand, I basically fish Penn conventionals with Newell kits whenever I can. I can toss a Salas 7x with my 113H Yellowtail Special just fine, but I am switching over to braid and floro on just about everything and a Newell YTS spool holds like a million yards of 40# solid braid. I'm trying to get the same retrieve per crank (35ish inches) on a reel that holds less line than the YTS with a Newell kit. I don't own any Newells, but if a narrow 533 with 4.1:1 gears will get me what I want then that is what I'll do.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

bluefish69

Ron

Keep me up to date on you search for the 533

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

maxpowers

Ron,

What you are describing is the 113HN (Baja Special).  put a slightly longer handle on it and you have something similar to a jigging master pe4-5.  Upgrade the drag like I did and you bring the reel to the Tank's specs.  It also free spool much much better than the Tank.  Put 80 lbs solid braid and fish 5 ft topshots all day if you like.

Ron Jones

The Baja Special is the same size as the YTS as far as I know. I want a 113HNN.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"