Shimano Spheros FA vs. FB ???

Started by ez2cdave, July 01, 2014, 07:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

I need info on the Shimano Spheros FA vs FB ...

Is the FB worth the difference in cost ( I know the FA is discontinued ) ?

Is a "tuned up / modified" FA  a better option than an FB, both in terms of value and performance ?

What "mods are available" for the FB and does the difference justify the cost ?

Thanks !

johndtuttle

The problem with any older Shimano reel is that they do not service or guarantee parts availability 5 years after a reel is discontinued.

The Spheros FB is discontinued now as well and is replaced by Spheros SW. This means you have ~5 years of parts for an FB left and the FA is ebay only for a parts reel or random luck finding what you need.

An old classic with hundreds of cheap reels out there for parts is one thing but I simply cannot recommend something you can't really get parts for anymore otherwise.

An FB is a solid workhorse that is well worth it. Take good care of it if you decide to get one. You wouldn't want to neglect it and then find out after a few years forgotten in the garage that you've ruined it and there are no parts.

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 01, 2014, 09:03:02 PM
The problem with any older Shimano reel is that they do not service or guarantee parts availability 5 years after a reel is discontinued.

The Spheros FB is discontinued now as well and is replaced by Spheros SW. This means you have ~5 years of parts for an FB left and the FA is ebay only for a parts reel or random luck finding what you need.

An old classic with hundreds of cheap reels out there for parts is one thing but I simply cannot recommend something you can't really get parts for anymore otherwise.

An FB is a solid workhorse that is well worth it. Take good care of it if you decide to get one.

Thanks for your reply . . . I wasn't aware of the "SW" model and I will check it out.

SacFly

The SW just came out in the last year or so and bumped the price of a spheros from about 130 to around 200.  I haven't seen one yet so I don't know if the upgrades are worth the extra $$.

I have a spheros fb and an older model baitrunner.  Both are (were) good reels for their price point. 

ez2cdave

The "SW" is out of my price range . . . I can't "justify" that level of expense, compared to the "return" in performance.

SacFly

Depends what you want to use it for.  If you're fishing the beach and like to tinker with old reels, the 704z is the most impressive piece of fishing equipment I've ever owned.  With minimal maintenance the abuse these reels will take would blow your mind.  Mine will still be catching fish long after my shimanos (which I also like) are in the trashcan.  You can pick up an old one in good shape for about 75$.  Parts are easy to find and cheap.

The 704/706 is the biggest of the old spinfishers.  Some people like the smaller ones as well.  I don't.  I have a 710 and a 712 as well and I never fish them.  They're really sloooooooowwwwwwww. 

johndtuttle

What's your target fish?

Plenty of reels around $125 that have terrific drags and handle braid beautifully.

Daiwa Lexa, Penn Conflict or SSV, Shimano Symetre etc.

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 02, 2014, 10:58:08 PM
What's your target fish?

Plenty of reels around $125 that have terrific drags and handle braid beautifully.

(1) I am primarily a pier fisherman, soaking bait or live baiting ( Sea Mullet, Bluefish, Red Drum, etc. )

(2) I use Mono only, no Braid.

(3) I prefer Metal bodies over Graphite.

(4) Currently, I fish Penn SS spinners ( pre-"00" reels - i.e. 550 SS, not 5500 SS ) and Daiwa "BG" Black Gold spinners.

johndtuttle

Quote from: ez2cdave on July 03, 2014, 04:07:18 AM
What's your target fish?

(1) I am primarily a pier fisherman, soaking bait or live baiting ( Sea Mullet, Bluefish, Red Drum, etc. )

(4) Currently, I fish Penn SS spinners ( pre-"00" reels - i.e. 550 SS, not 5500 SS ) and Daiwa "BG" Black Gold spinners.

Metal bodies and side plates and rotors are becoming harder and harder to come by. The last reel that really has that at your price point is the Penn SSV or Conflict. They have metal in all of the above key places and are very tough little reels for the money. Brilliant drags in either.

The SSV is well protected from salt and sand but the extra sealing makes the handle a little stiffer.

A Shimano Saros/Symetre will be a little freer spinning, but not as tough when it comes to knocks. The Daiwa equivalent the same. Penn Conflict is in this class of smooth little reels and is all metal in the sizes above 4000.

Finn Nor offshore and Lethal (only in the largest size) round out the 'work horse' list but the Lethal 100 is a very big reel. The smaller ones are decent and in the same class as the others more or less but uses cheaper components. The Offshore is very tough, but considered heavy these days.

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 03, 2014, 06:47:52 PM
Quote from: ez2cdave on July 03, 2014, 04:07:18 AM
What's your target fish?

Metal bodies and side plates and rotors are becoming harder and harder to come by. The last reel that really has that at your price point is the Penn SSV or Conflict. They have metal in all of the above key places and are very tough little reels for the money. Brilliant drags in either.

The SSV is well protected from salt and sand but the extra sealing makes the handle a little stiffer.

A Shimano Saros/Symetre will be a little freer spinning, but not as tough when it comes to knocks. The Daiwa equivalent the same. Penn Conflict is in this class of smooth little reels and is all metal in the sizes above 4000.

Finn Nor offshore and Lethal (only in the largest size) round out the 'work horse' list but the Lethal 100 is a very big reel. The smaller ones are decent and in the same class as the others more or less but uses cheaper components. The Offshore is very tough, but considered heavy these days.

John,

Thanks for all your help and info !