penn 99 recomendations

Started by txangler81, July 04, 2014, 02:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

I just picked up a penn 99 and a 250 off fleabay for 22.50 shipped for the pair any recommendation's on what to do with them besides cleaning them up lol

Keta

I made Tib framed SS gearsleved 5+1 washered 501 and 99 width 250s with two of mine, my 99 does not get used.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

txangler81

Keta

It's an older reel in good shape and too nice to use, the 99 width 250 does the same thing and I have several.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

txangler81

are stainless sleeves and cf drags available for the 99 I cant get them right now but maybe in the near future. I would like to at least do that much does anyone know if the Tiburon 99 spool will fit it and could a Tiburon frame be drilled and tapped to fit it thanks

Ron Jones

The Tib spool will work, but I think you would be better off modding a Jigmaster then putting all that into a 99. CF drags are only a couple bucks. I'd slap them in and fish the pee out of it.
Ronald
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

txangler81

what line weight would you recommend

Keta

I use 60 Spectra but would fish it with 30# topshots.

Mark Twain

Ron Jones

My 99 width jigmaster did just fine on the SOA trip loaded with straight 30# mono. It didn't get hooked up with anything huge but it would do fine with anything you should be fishing for with 30# line. Your reel is just as strong.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"