intrepid 5-day, august 9th to 14th, 2010

Started by alantani, August 04, 2010, 10:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

intrepid 5-day, august 9th to 14th, 2010

i have a 5 day trip this monday on the intrepid out of point loma.  i went through all of my gear.  i put big 6/0 kolekar handle grips on everything.  no more messing around.  the bearings of all of these reels were cleaned out and lubed with TSI 301.  it does not give me the freespool that xtreme reel + does, but i'm confident that it will last longer. 

the atd 30 and atd 50 are staying home, but all of the boss two speeds and the atd 6 and 12 are coming with me.  the accurates now all have bearing sleeves and deliver 45 seconds to 2 minutes worth of freespool.  sleeving the bearings was key to getting these reels to spin the way i wanted. 

the progear classic series 501's all spin for 30-45 seconds. 

new for this year are the okumas.  i had two makiara 10 two speeds, but loaned one out.  i cleaned out the bearings and they spin for 60 seconds easily.  they hold 400 yards of solid 65 pound spectra and will get a 50# fluoro topshot and an 18 pound drag setting. 

the cedros 65 and 80 spinners were torn down as well.  they were very easy to work on.  if you open one up yourself, beware of the eliptical gear.  it has to be lined up perfectly or you may crunch the gears.  i packed the bearings with grease and replaced the felt drag washers with greased carbon fiber. 

i'm ready..........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Wow!  That's a lot of gear for a 5 day trip!   What will you be fishing for?
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

it's for two of us.  i'm taking my nephew.  he gets to carry everything.  also, when i hook up, i'm going to give a few cranks and then let him reel the fish in.  my elbow has been bothering me for the last few months.  guadalupe is closed.  we are probably headed to cedros!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BigT

Wow! And I though I was a tackle junkie ;D

Next time I get a hard time from my wife for buying a new toy, I'm just going to show her your post, Alan. You may have saved my life!!

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

Phinaddict

......The Yellowtail have NO chance!
So it is true, you are a tackle 'ho. Alan, to be honest, I envy all that aluminum!
Have a great time showing your nephew the ropes. Tight lines!
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

broadway

Holy reels, Batman!!!  I've never been out for 5 days, but if that's what it takes... I think I'm gonna stick to wirelining stripers.  Wow,  that's impressive.  How many rods do you bring?... hope not one for every reel or your nephew's screwed.  Have fun, be safe, and feed your nephew some Wheaties for the luggin'.  Tight lines, Alan.
Dom

slip tip

Hi, Alan, nice gear! Your nephew should get a workout in more ways than one, maybe even some longfins. Why is Guadalupe closed?

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Norcal Pescador

Great gear, Alan! Can't wait for the full fishing report. How about some details on how your reels are loaded, what rods they go on, and what the combos are used for?

I like the idea of using Kolekar grips on all the reels. I'll pm you later about 6/0 grips for my 3/0 Sealiner and 113H to match the 6/0 on my 114H.

Have a great time and tight lines!   8) ;D 8)

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

slip tip

Rob, you'll really like the Kolekar handles. I have a rather modest collection of them in different sizes on various reels and they're great!

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: slip tip on August 06, 2010, 09:09:12 AM
Rob, you'll really like the Kolekar handles. I have a rather modest collection of them in different sizes on various reels and they're great!

Regards,
David

Hi David -

I have really big hands so I figured the 6/0 Kolekars would be a good match on the 3/0 and 4/0. I sure like the one (6/0 grip) on my 6/0 reel!
I just can't bring myself to put the 6/0 Kolekars on my Long Beach 60 and Sea Boy 85.  ;)  Who knows, maybe they'll end up with 4/0 grips.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

tortugo

Alan,
You are going to be in my neighborhood soon. I live in Bahia Tortugas. Just a short ride from Cedros. I run a modest tackle shop here in town with a million dollar view of the bay. I really appreciate the hard work that you have put into helping take the mystery out of reel repair. Stop in some day and I will buy you a beer!
Tortugo

nicky.phil

wonderful reels Alan :D what type of carbon fiber washers did you use to replace the felt drags washers of your cedros 65 and 80 with ??? ??? i need to order some thanks :D

Bryan Young

Tick, Tick, Tick...time is counting down.  Have a safe trip of a life time.  Can't wait for the report.  Keep us dreaming.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D