A New Use for that Old Penn Wrench

Started by foakes, July 07, 2014, 10:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Because bail screws, side plate spinner screws, eccentric lever screws, and others -- usually are made of chrome over brass -- it is easy to ruin the screw slot with the wrong screwdriver.

For years now, I have just used an old Penn aluminum wrench for these types of screws.

Never messes up a screw head slot because the soft aluminum is softer than the screw.

This works particularly well on older spinners that are tough to get parts for -- and may be a little hard to break loose initially.

Best,

Fred

[/URL

[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/imagejpg1_zps891de72a.jpg.html]

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

harryk3616

good idea  fred,  thanks for sharing, you can never find the right screwdriver for those screws,  now we have. 

broadway

Now you're talking! I have a friend that swears by his guitar pick for those... I'll have to tell him.
Creative. Thanks Fred,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Good Thinking Fred! I will try that! ;D
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Good tip Fred! Btw, let me know if I could come over one day and just look around.
I might need to sleep over, one day  might not cover it all;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

You're always more than welcome, Sal -- Seriously...

We have a private upstairs guest room, with a private full bathroom, and lots of windows to see the deer as they wander through the yard.  It is right next to my upstairs reel shop.  There is another full reel shop out in the workshop for larger items and duplicates of parts.  The workshop is 800 sq ft with 5 separate rooms for various types of projects (woodworking, stationary power tools, assembly, mechanics tools, finishing, staining, lacquer, gardening) + a 800 sq ft loft with a staircase where I store other things like rods and out dated parts.  Plus a 20' storage container full of shelf racks, with reels and misc fishing stuff in plastic bins up to the ceiling on both sides.  

Plus I BBQ a really good Rib-Eye & Sue makes a killer potato salad with garlic bread.

We are about halfway between Yosemite & Sequoia-Kings Canyon at 4400'.  So it is not uncommon to have a foot or two of snow in the Winter.  And we are about an hour out of Fresno.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Wow, Fred, that is the most tempting offer that I've had in quite a while! Thank you very much for the nice invite! Unfortunately, being on the opposite coast and not the most enthusiastic flyer (to say the least), it would be difficult to take you up on it! Please, if you are ever on the east coast, you must stop by...I surely don't have all of the impressive inventory that you have or the wonderful amenities, but there is always bread and wine on the table (not to mention, some tasty pasta, too!)

Best,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Well, you never know, Sal --

It may work out for you sometime -- and the  invitation is ALWAYS open for you and your wife -- and it would be an honor.

All the best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

At least you got the offer. I got kicked to the Curb again! ::)
Life is Good!

harryk3616

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 08, 2014, 02:36:30 AM
Wow, Fred, that is the most tempting offer that I've had in quite a while! Thank you very much for the nice invite! Unfortunately, being on the opposite coast and not the most enthusiastic flyer (to say the least), it would be difficult to take you up on it! Please, if you are ever on the east coast, you must stop by...I surely don't have all of the impressive inventory that you have or the wonderful amenities, but there is always bread and wine on the table (not to mention, some tasty pasta, too!)

Best,
Sal
hi   sal      how's the tomatoes doing this year?

foakes

Let me know when you are coming, Daron --

I'll pick you up at the airport.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Careful what you wish for Fred!  :D
You might have your hands full with Me and Sal and our wives! ;D
Thanks Buddy! ;)
Life is Good!

jonnou

Irish Jigger

Penn aluminium wrench,that's a new one on me. Thought they were all steel.

gatrapper