penn 10/0 side plate

Started by Southernsharker, July 20, 2014, 09:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernsharker

I just received a penn 10/0 that the right side plate was cracked in the mail. I see there $75 to replace. Two questions can a 12/0 side plate be used and if not is it possible to use epoxy to fix the sideplate.

Alto Mare

Yes, a 12/0 will work and no, I wouldn't try to fix it.
Make this guy a good offer, I'm sure he would go for it. I would offer him $30 shipped to me.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-OLD-STOCK-PENN-Senator-116-12-0-FISHING-REEL-Right-Side-Plate-NOS-/121298328013?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3df199cd

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Southernsharker

Thank you i will buy it today

Southernsharker

I had the wife offer him 30 +shipping and he agreed thanks alto for the advice once the plate comes in I'm sending the reel off to Alan to get tuned up

Shark Hunter

You can do it yourself. There are lots of tutorials here to help.
Life is Good!

Southernsharker

I figured it would be better to have a pro go through it then a novice like me to see what all may need to be changed. I've read and went through a lot of the tutorials before i became a member.  I Want to learn how to work on old senator but I'm not sure if i want my first real big reel to be my guinea pig haha

Shark Hunter

You have to start somewhere. ;)
There is unforeseen problems sometimes. Once you start doing them yourself, There is no turning back!
Life is Good!

Southernsharker

That is a awesome picture. I just read sal's 116 assembly thread. I will strip my brothers 6/0 down this week and grease and clean it and see if i can reassemble it without destroying it before i make my decision on the 10 . I have 3 9/0 that i also need to service before the bigger sharks start showing up this fall. i may experiment on them to if the 114 goes good ive been reading about the ss dog, yoke and gear sleeve upgrade for them.plus brians drag kit that sounds like a really good start for them. Do you know if they make any good upgrades for the 10/0

Shark Hunter

I just finished those yesterday. The ss sleeves are going to be available in the next few months I hope. An Upgraded 7 Stack Drag and Handle with arm would be my first choices. The washer set and drag washers are available at Mystic Reel Parts. Just search mysticparts. The double dogs are also a nice upgrade. Alan Tani has the 5/0 handles, Keta or Three se7ens have the stainless handle arms here. ;D

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!